• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two unknown Swallows (1 Viewer)

thirtyguitars

Howdy

Ever try to get a picture of a swallow in flight? It's a great way to spend a morning, if you like exercising futility and what not.

However, I did nail a shot of this swallow. Question is, can you ID it from the back feathers alone. I'm thinking Northern Rough-Wing due to the all brown feathers. I remember the underside being plain.

In picture two, the Tree Swallow and Cliff Swallow are apparent. However, the cute little brown and white one - is it a Bank Swallow?

Thanks.

PS, photographed in Dalhart Texas this past spring

Attachments

• swallow 1.jpg
    swallow 1.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Swallows sized2.jpg
    Swallows sized2.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I can´t find the Tree Sparrow in the 2nd photo, Aaron ;-)

Cripes, I didn't notice that! Some 'observer' I am |^| (in my defence, I was paying more attention to the birds, and not so much to the labels.)

Yes, that would be the bluest, longest-winged 'sparrow' ever to take wing...

Yah, I can't believe I spotted the only Tree 'Sparrow' ever documented! Lucky me :D

The typos were flying yesterday. I edited my original post about 5 times, and the title is still wrong on the forum page. Oh well.

Hi ThirtyG.... I've edited your thread title for you now.

Only a Moderator can change the title of a thread - just get in touch with one of us.

I'm glad to see that it wasn't just my reading - I was puzzled about why they were swallows when I was expecting sparrows. :-O But actually, I wanted to say it's a nice picture to have 3 kinds of swallows in one shot - can't say I've seen that much.

Delia - thank you for fixing the title. I appreciate it.

Gretchen - I only caught these swallows once lounging on the fence. I had to sneak up on them, but managed to get several good photos before they decided to fly off. After that, they were always busy flying around like... uh, well, swallows, and I rarely got a good photo again throughout the summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back