• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyrannides (3 Viewers)

Species limits in the Tawny-crowned Pygmy-tyrant Euscarthmus meloryphus complex (Aves: Passeriformes: Tyrannidae)

ISMAEL FRANZ, DIEGO JANISCH ALVARES, MÁRCIO BORGES-MARTINS

Abstract

Euscarthmus pygmy-tyrants include two species of tiny passerines that inhabit semi-open landscapes in South America. One of these, Euscarthmus meloryphus is a taxonomic complex comprising three recognized subspecies for which previously proposed splits and lumps were not founded on proper taxonomic analysis. We assessed morphology (morphometrics and plumage), distribution models, and vocalizations of a substantial dataset with the aim of evaluating species limits within the E. meloryphus complex. Our results support the recognition of two species, the widespread E. meloryphus from east-central South America, and E. fulviceps from Ecuador and Peru, which are clearly diagnosable on morphological and vocal characters. We consider that E. meloryphus paulus from Colombia and Venezuela is a synonym of the nominotypical taxon based on the absence of diagnostic vocal and morphological characters. The allopatric distribution of the two populations of E. meloryphus may be related to the savannah connections during the LGM in South America. Further, we show that Lepturus ruficeps Swainson, 1838 is a synonym of E. rufomarginatus instead of E. meloryphus as it has long been treated.

https://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4809.3.3

Logically, the Rufous-sided Pygmy Tyrant/le Tyranneau à flancs roux (Euscarthmus rufomarginatus) become Euscarthmus ruficeps, by priority.
Proposal (898) to SACC

A. Split the Tawny-crowned Pygmy-Tyrant Euscarthmus meloryphus into two species.
B. Establish English names for the species

By combining the unpublished work of Kohler and that of Harvey et al (2020), I recognize these genera within the subfamilyTodirostrinae (alphabetical order) :

Campina (one the new recognised unpublished genera) 2 species

Ceratotriccus (absorb Poecilotriccus) 12 species

Euscarthmornis 4 species

Hemitriccus 2 species

Microcochlearius 8 species

Myiornis 2 species

Oncostoma (absord many genera) 13-14 species (if pallens is considered as distinct species)

Perissotriccus 2 species

Todirostrum 7 species

It was just a little passing comment oklm 😎
Can we actually use Campina now?
And what is the type species of Euscarthmornis?

Platyrinchidae: SpadebillsSundevall, 1836​

3 genera, 9 speciesnot HBW family​

A Calyptura/Neopipo/Platyrinchus clade is basal within the Platyrinchinae. The Kinglet Calyptura has traditionally been included with the cotingas, but Ohlson et al. (2012) show that it belongs here. The Kinglet Calyptura was long believed extinct when rediscovered in the mid-1990's. Its future remains doubtful.

Although Tello et al. (2009) considered Neopipo unrelated to Platyrinchus, Rheindt et al. (2008a) and Ohlson et al. (2008) found evidence they are sister taxa. This has all be superseded by Harvey et al. (2020), which also found them to be sister taxa.

Harvey et al. (2020) also found a very deep division, about 18 million years, between Calyptura and Neopipo. It could easily be recognized at the subfamily level. I have used subfamilies to highlight the deeper division between those two species and Platyrinchus. Although they are not so deep, there are fairly deep divisions between the three Platyrinchus clades. It would nice to have genus names for them, but I do not know of any.

Are there any issues with Ridgway's Placostomus (for coronatus) or Platytriccus (for cancrominus, saturatus, & mystaceus) ?

Last edited:
A couple questions for the taxonomy / phylogeny wizards here:

How confident are people of the placement of Pseudotriccus in Elaeniinae and not Platyrinchinae, confirmed or doubted?

Also I would welcome comments about the placement of Myiornis with respect to Hemitriccus, and H margaritaceiventer with respect to those two genera.

Cheers in advance for thoughts from those who will have spent a lot longer looking at this than I have!

A couple questions for the taxonomy / phylogeny wizards here:

How confident are people of the placement of Pseudotriccus in Elaeniinae and not Platyrinchinae, confirmed or doubted?

Also I would welcome comments about the placement of Myiornis with respect to Hemitriccus, and H margaritaceiventer with respect to those two genera.

Cheers in advance for thoughts from those who will have spent a lot longer looking at this than I have!
Mike Harvey et al's work pretty much covered all the suboscines and he very kindly posted a tree for us all to 'fill our boots' with here: https://www.mgharvey.org/docs/Harveyetal2020_Fig1_tree_HiRes.pdf

Pseudotriccus was found to be sister to Corythopis, in the Rhynchocyclidae.
Myiornis was found to be polyphyletic. The whole Triccinae is pretty messy.
John Boyd has done a pretty good job of untangling it. See this (page 3) http://jboyd.net/Taxo/Rhynchocyclidae.pdf

Et encore ! Boyd may not know the potential new genera mentioned in an old thread (Campina, Physatriccus etc.)
Yes and if I recall correctly one of the names is derived from someone emptying their bladder. :LOL:
There's a suggestion of what we say in English, someone is "taking the piss!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back