• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyrannides (1 Viewer)

Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri Cabanis & Heine, 1859 & 1860? OD T.2 (1859-1860) - Museum Heineanum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Many sources have Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri first described in 1860 e.g. Tyrant flycatchers – IOC World Bird List or Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri (Yellow-browed Tody-Flycatcher (illigeri)) - Avibase

Peters claimed 1859 v.8 (1979) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library

If I read the bottom of the page in OD it tells me 16. September 1859. Museum Heineanum Vol II seems to be published 1859-1860.

So what is the reason for publication date 1860? What's written in Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology: A Directory to the Literature and its Reviewers is at least for me not really enlightning.

Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri Cabanis & Heine, 1859 & 1860? OD T.2 (1859-1860) - Museum Heineanum - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Many sources have Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri first described in 1860 e.g. Tyrant flycatchers – IOC World Bird List or Todirostrum chrysocrotaphum illigeri (Yellow-browed Tody-Flycatcher (illigeri)) - Avibase

Peters claimed 1859 v.8 (1979) - Check-list of birds of the world - Biodiversity Heritage Library

If I read the bottom of the page in OD it tells me 16. September 1859. Museum Heineanum Vol II seems to be published 1859-1860.

So what is the reason for publication date 1860? What's written in Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology: A Directory to the Literature and its Reviewers is at least for me not really enlightning.

The gathering dates in Museum heineanum are nowadays most usually understood as representing dates of printing, rather than dates of publication. See e.g. Zimmer 1926.
Although there is some evidence of early circulation of parts of some of the volumes (i.a., for the first gatherings of vol. I -- not accepting this would imply transferring the authorship of many of the names introduced there by Cabanis, to Bonaparte who used them in his Conspectus in 1850), this evidence is variously accepted (see also the discussion of vol. I on Zoonomen), and I don't think there was ever any really serious suggestion that each gathering might have been circulated as soon as it had been produced. (In most cases, a given date appears only on one single gathering, thus reading the dates as dates of publication would mean to accept that Cabanis had circulated most of the gatherings separately, which doesn't seem very plausible.)
Hartlaub, in 1862, listed the entire second volume (Clamatores, 175 pp) as having appeared in 1860. The wording he used to announce this ("erschien endlich !" -- with an exclamation mark) suggests he had been waiting for it eagerly, which makes it improbable that he might have omitted to announce the publication of a part of it in his report covering 1859. I don't think it would be very likely, either, that he might have been omitted from an early circulation of a part of this volume.
The volume was listed among erschienene Bücher in the Meßkatalog for the Leipzig 1860 Michaelismesse (30 Sep 1860, fide Evenhuis 2014), but did not appear in the equivalent catalogue for the Ostermesse, earlier in the same year (29 Apr 1860, same source).
The earliest mention I find of it as a published work right now, is in the Aug 1860 issue of Allgemeine Bibliographie. Monatliches Verzeichniss der wichtigern neuen Erscheinungen der deutschen und ausländischen Literatur -- unless someone can trace earlier evidence, I would tend to adopt 31 Aug 1860 as the date of publication of the entire work.

It's too cryptic for me too. Where's Laurent when we need him?

I just cannot spend 100% of my life behind my computer. ;)

Last edited:
The composite identity of Muscicapa virens Linnaeus, and a neotype designation for Eastern Wood Pewee Contopus virens (Tyrannidae)
Matthew R. Halley
Bulletin of the British Ornithologists’ Club 143 (2), 196-211, (7 June 2023)
https://bioone.org/journals/bulletin-of-the-british-ornithologists-club/current .
"Linnaeus (1766) also included a novel character in his original description of M. virens—a white supercilium (‘superciliis albis’)—which is lacking in Eastern Wood Pewee..."
Here is a normal Catesby look at text page 54 and drawing 54.
v.1 (1729-1732) - The natural history of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
But here is another version were the bird is reversed an theMuscicapa has a slight/light white supercillium?
Mark Catesby (1682-1749) - The Little Brown Fly-catcher and the Red-eyd Fly-catcher .
"This unique copy was purchased by George III in 1768 from the bookseller Thomas Cadell the Elder (1742-1802). It originally contained Catesby's collection of preparatory drawings for his publication" The Red-eyed Vireo is also very different with its head crooked like they do.
Linne 1766: t.1, pt. 1 (Regnum animale) (1766) - Caroli a Linné ... Systema naturae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Klein Iacobi Theodori Klein secr. div. ged. ... Historiae avivm prodromvs - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Brisson 1760: t.2 (1760) - Ornithologie, ou, Méthode contenant la division des oiseaux en ordres, sections, genres, especes & leurs variétés - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back