• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyrant Flycatcher in Peru (1 Viewer)

BIRDseeN

Saw this Tyrant flycatcher in the grounds of a restaurant in Moyobamba, Peru a few days ago. First thought was Yellow-bellied Elaenia, but seemed a little compact, and the lightish eye and light bill, along with pure light yellow washed breast caused questions. Is it too big then for Southern Beardless Tyrannulet or are there other options here?

Attachments

• flycatcher1.jpg
    flycatcher1.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 28
  • flycatcher2.jpg
    flycatcher2.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 28
Looks like a Tolmomyias to me, perhaps Yellow-olive?
I feel wing pattern is wrong, and although that species is variable I think one with this shaggy a crest and relatively short tail would be unusual.

I find this one difficult. I didn't get a Tolmomyias vibe: I find those generally look fairly round headed and long tailed

Think this looks ok for Southern Beardless Tyrannulet of subspecies olivaceum which looks ok for range
Niels

Think this looks ok for Southern Beardless Tyrannulet of subspecies olivaceum which looks ok for range
Niels
That was the closest I could get except that the colours are wrong (that ssp should be brighter, greener afaik), and the crest is usually not so shaggy giving a neater look. Finally, the eye looks to always be dark (light here)

That was the closest I could get except that the colours are wrong (that ssp should be brighter, greener afaik), and the crest is usually not so shaggy giving a neater look. Finally, the eye looks to always be dark (light here)
I admit to only checking the field guide where the eyes do look like they could be pale. The ones I saw in SW Ecuador had a pretty shaggy crest (but different coloration).
Niels

Hmmm looking through photos on Macaulay (assuming they're correctly IDed), C. o. olivaceum now looks like a pretty solid match.

Boy is that a different looking bird compared to the ones I'm used to seeing on the coast and in the Marañon! A future split?

Yes perhaps, but see the notes in my answer: eye colour in particular. I remain to be convinced (find me a Southern beardless photo where the eyes are large and pale, not dark and beady)

Last edited:
Not the same subspecies and may not be convincing, but now that I made the crop I am going to upload. This is subspecies sclateri (per range) from SW Ecuador. I have the whole bird and an enlarged crop of the head. What I see here and in many other images is a pupil that is black but surrounded by greyish - not brown as per BOW. The pupil in the OP photos are still smaller looking than this one, could there be a difference in light levels at the time?
Niels
SBTY P1110465.JPGSBTY-enl P1110465.JPG

The pupil in the OP photos are still smaller looking than this one, could there be a difference in light levels at the time?
AFAIK, pupil size isn't ever an ID feature for any bird - it varies with light level. (I took it that Fern was referring to the apparent size of the whole visible eye.)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back