• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U.K birds that are common on the mainland but very uncommon/ rare on our islands. . (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

I'm thinking of the likes of the magpie that has been on the news services lately (can't remember exactly where) Shetland possibly? Also are there any birds that have started to colonise Scilly the Scottish Isles etc that were historically absent. What U.K birds does Ireland lack, if any?

I'm thinking of the likes of the magpie that has been on the news services lately (can't remember exactly where) Shetland possibly? Also are there any birds that have started to colonise Scilly the Scottish Isles etc that were historically absent. What U.K birds does Ireland lack, if any?
There are several others rare or scarce in Shetland. There hasn't been an accepted Jay. I don't think there has been a Tawny Owl and Barn Owls are rare even though there are a couple at the minute. Blue and Great Tits are scarce and Coal Tits are rare. Kingfisher, Dipper, Treecreeper etc.

Dippers make the news services in parts of the mainland too. Must be a few county listers that don’t have them

The current Magpie at Sandness, Mainland is only the second record for Shetland following one on Fair Isle.

A fairly safe bet, they haven't even made it to Notts yet and anyway, as an introduced species, I don't think this is a valid comparison.
Early days yet, I encountered my 1st almost 50 years ago, they’re by far “solid residents”,
I don’t think living “in denial” is the way forward, they’re here to stay, short of doing a Passenger Pigeon “Blitz” on them at roost sites…coming to a branch near you 🤩

Attachments

• 93EC750E-5AD6-4A1D-897C-99765D9EEE0A.jpeg
    93EC750E-5AD6-4A1D-897C-99765D9EEE0A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
RN Par
Early days yet, I encountered my 1st almost 50 years ago, they’re by far “solid residents”,
I don’t think living “in denial” is the way forward, they’re here to stay, short of doing a Passenger Pigeon “Blitz” on them at roost sites…coming to a branch near you 🤩
RN Parakeets are attributed to a deliberate mass release near Bushy House Teddington (Bushy Park/Hampton Court) many many years ago. At least that is the story given by colleagues at NPL (they own Bushy House). They then colonised Bushy Park, all along the Thames and into Richmond Park.

Ringneck and Monk Parakeets may be shot under the terms of the "General Licence" under clauses WML GL40, WML GL41 and WML GL42.
Please note I do not hunt or shoot birds (except with a camera).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back