• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ULTRAVID 10x42 BR, HD and HD-Plus differences (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Does anyone know the exact difference between the ULTRAVID 10x42 BR, HD and HD-Plus.

As I understand the HD had a HD element in the objective and Hydrophobic lense coatings .
Then the HD-Plus had improved Schott glass prisms to improve light transmission.

I ask because I recently had my original 2002 10x42 BR fully serviced including replacement of objectives costing over £300. I recently tested my binoculars against the HD-Plus and was surprised to find there exactly the same. Even the guy in the shop couldn't tell any visual optical difference or build difference for that matter.
They were identical in optical performance and only different in build by the different HD-Plus badge.
How is that possible ?

Cheers
Tim

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 20
Leica updated their coatings a few years ago, so you have new lenses and their latest coatings. this should make the image come close enough to the HD+ that you may not be able to see a difference. My Trinovid HD (2022) IMO comes very close to the HD+ which I used to own.

Leica updated their coatings a few years ago, so you have new lenses and their latest coatings. this should make the image come close enough to the HD+ that you may not be able to see a difference. My Trinovid HD (2022) IMO comes very close to the HD+ which I used to own.
Thanks I didn't know the coatings had been tweaked..

Cheers

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back