• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid 7x42 HD+ vs Noctivid 8x42 (2 Viewers)

Just out of interest, how do people know about Leica's new coatings in Ultravids the past couple of years? I spoke to some suppliers and they don't seem to be unaware of it, and I can't find anything official from Leica?

For those that own or have tried both, which one would you choose?

Nigel
Can't tell for the 7x42, but I own a Ultravid HD 8x42 and I have compared it a while ago to a Noctivid 8x42. My conclusion was that the Noctivid was better, by a surprisingly clear margin. For a new purchase, I certainly would choose the Noctivid over the Ultravid. My detailed comparison is here (in German).

Just out of interest, how do people know about Leica's new coatings in Ultravids the past couple of years? I spoke to some suppliers and they don't seem to be unaware of it, and I can't find anything official from Leica?
It was first mentioned by Tobias in this thread about the new Geovid.

Start with post #28

Also, I read about the new coatings on an optics review site. I think it was a review of the Trinovid HD. I was reading reviews before I bought my 8x32. I can’t remember the site. It was mentioned that Leica updated coatings across all binocular models. I’ll try to find the review and post it in this thread.

Can't tell for the 7x42, but I own a Ultravid HD 8x42 and I have compared it a while ago to a Noctivid 8x42. My conclusion was that the Noctivid was better, by a surprisingly clear margin. For a new purchase, I certainly would choose the Noctivid over the Ultravid. My detailed comparison is here (in German).

Same here, I own the Ultravid 8x42 and was considering updating. Popped into a local optics dealer thinking that I was going to mostly impressed by the Swaro 8x42NL but in fact it was the Noctivids which I was surprised the most by, they were clearly better than my old bins. The Swaro image was also very nice but there is no way I could live with the distortion effect that my eyes perceived whilst panning and they didn't feel comfortable to hold. Those two factors alone put them out of the running.

Same here, I own the Ultravid 8x42 and was considering updating. Popped into a local optics dealer thinking that I was going to mostly impressed by the Swaro 8x42NL but in fact it was the Noctivids which I was surprised the most by, they were clearly better than my old bins. The Swaro image was also very nice but there is no way I could live with the distortion effect that my eyes perceived whilst panning and they didn't feel comfortable to hold. Those two factors alone put them out of the running.
What do You mean by the distortion effect? Rolling hall/globe effect?

It appears that Leica does field flatteners better than Swarovski, at least with a more optically balanced flat field. Interesting that the NL’s for you were not as comfortable to hold than the Noctivid’s, considering a few complaints about limited barrel separation with the double hinge design, and high up focuser position (I don’t see that). But I’ve also heard a similar amount of complaints from some people not liking the NL pinched barrel design.

Robert, which 8x42 UV do/did you have?

Paul

Hi Paul its one of the early versions from 2004 with black rubber armor. Still in vgc and great bins but they'll be in the for sale section soon as I collect the new ones tomorrow.
Still excellent glass. I was just wondering because you were saying how much of a step up it was to the Nocs and NL’s. Even from the UV HD+ a step up is there, but much closer. So a new gorgeous Leica Noctivid in 8x42 will have a new home tomorrow, congratulations to you and the new addition to the family 😁🙏🏼.

Paul

SLC no field flatteners would explain that.
It appears that Leica does field flatteners better than Swarovski
Disturbing effects when panning involve low pincushioning or variations at the edge (Swaro EL), or possibly distracting edge aberrations (Zeiss FL 42), not field curvature. And while SLC 42 has no issue, SLC 56 has lower distortion which I like, but might cause very sensitive users some discomfort.

Still excellent glass. I was just wondering because you were saying how much of a step up it was to the Nocs and NL’s. Even from the UV HD+ a step up is there, but much closer. So a new gorgeous Leica Noctivid in 8x42 will have a new home tomorrow, congratulations to you and the new addition to the family 😁🙏🏼.

Paul
I had planned on selling my 2010 vintage 8x42 BRs to upgrade to a Noctovid. My BRs were in the shop for nine months without selling, so I went back to pick them up. My BRs are super clean, almost like new so I tested them side by side with the Noctovids. Man, they were very close, certainly not $1,000s difference to my eye.

I own a 8x42 Trinovid (2012-2015 model) and love it. But it's time for an upgrade. I'm set on Leica, big fan of the view and build quality, and I want the best they have to offer. That would seemingly be the Noctivid, although before that came along the general consensus seems to be the Ultravid 7x42 HD+ was Leica's best binocular.

As far as I can ascertain the Noctivid being the latest and greatest should have a superior view vs the Ultravid, but the disadvantages are it's about 100g heavier and perhaps ergonomically inferior? I've also read it can struggle in bright sunlight and is blackout prone - I'd like to know if others have found this to be the case as I do a lot of birding in the Med.

The Ultravid 7x42 HD+ seems to be widely praised, the larger exit pupil is appealing as is the lighter weight. Already owning a decent 8x42 binocular it perhaps makes sense to have a 7x42 in my arsenal. One disadvantage I can see vs the Noctivid is the AFOV will be narrower. But how does the view compare between the two? With my eyes being not as good as they once were I need a sharp binocular!

In the UK the Ultravid new is now over £1900 (it was around £1500 when I was looking last year!). Quite a rise in price! I have actually found a new Noctivid that is a slightly cheaper than the Ultravid! If the differences between the two are minor, I would probably have been swayed to the Ultravid when it was considerably cheaper, but now that they're both almost the same price does it make more sense to go for the "premium" model?!

I'm not in a position to visit a shop to try them, so I'll probably end up ordering both to test them myself and send one back, but I'd be keen to know people's thoughts!

Nigel
Nigel
I own the Noctivid 8x42 and whilst the optics and colour are as good as my old Zeiss night owls , I have found serious issues with focus sticking. Once I get them back yet again from Leica Portugal they will be sold and either NL or SF purchased.

Nigel
I own the Noctivid 8x42 and whilst the optics and colour are as good as my old Zeiss night owls , I have found serious issues with focus sticking. Once I get them back yet again from Leica Portugal they will be sold and either NL or SF purchased.

I think you'll find the image colour and contrast disappointing in the SF by comparison, the NL less so. If you can find a good used Zeiss HT 8x42 that might be worth a look, as would a Nikon EDG which could be the closest match in colour balance (along with a Meopta Meostar). The Kahles Helia S is basically a recent Swaro SLC but cheaper. If you can put up with the slow focus and ugly armour, also a great choice.

Anyway, I hope the focuser is better this time and maybe you'll decide to keep them.

A 50mmm size objective has 41% more surface area than a 42mm size objective. Regardless of the lens elements and the coatings applied to their surfaces there is going to be a substantial increase in light transmission with the 50mm binoculars.

For night use on the water I have used a 7x50 binocular as it was great for spotting navigational aids and hazards. 7x was more than enough for the level of detail I needed. A very different situation than observing and identifying birds where I prefer 10x or greater binoculars and have them with 25mm, 32mm, 42mm, and 50mm size objective lenses.
The larger the objectives the greater the range of weights depending on the particular binocular and the greater my tendency to go with the lighter ones and not the ones with the best image resolving as a difference of a percent or two in clarity is not important to me.

A couple days ago I received an excellent 7x Ultravid by mail. I like it very much; great during physical hikes. Fun to use and natural color and clarity at distance. Glare is present, I think its cool. My Noctivid is much more shaky, I guess it's 8.5x, with an Aziak bino clamp to provide a thumb rest. I'm going to pair my my nice, light, Ultravid with a higher magnifying pair.

Focus is a little slow. I really don't think about it when using it. I'm not an insect watcher so I really don't focus to the extremes. I can't comment on the use without glasses as I use binoculars exclusively WITH glasses. As far as the "view" goes, I've got both and nine times out of ten I'll pick the 7X35 and head out. The view is really amazing especially its retro design.

That 7X42 at Ace Optics above does sound like a good deal though.

Probably best to try both if you can.
I don’t own as many a a lot on here, but I do own a cherry 8x42 Ultravid BR, a 7x35 Retrovid, 8x32 and 10x42SEs and my latest 7x21 Curio. Nine times out of ten I take the 7x35 Retrovids. Nothing against the others, I just seem to grab the Retrovids.

I own a 8x42 Trinovid (2012-2015 model) and love it. But it's time for an upgrade. I'm set on Leica, big fan of the view and build quality, and I want the best they have to offer.

Nigel

I’m sure you know, since you pointed out the date of your Trinovids, that that 2012-15 version I’d right up there with the Ultravids. I think it’s slightly heavier, but my buddies 8x42 2015 Trinovid is equal to my 8x42 every time I compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back