• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified lone duck in Kotu, Gambia on 1.12.23 (1 Viewer)

BobbyJim

A number of local bird guides had a look at this duck for me but a definitive identification was not forthcoming. The crowd that rapidly gathered suggested that it was an unusual bird for this area. It was generally thought to be a juvenile. Some suggested a garganey or a wigeon but I couldn't see it. One plausible suggestion was that it could be a Whistling Duck hybrid.
Any expert help to positively identify it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1275-1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1292-1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 40
First bird I see when is a White-faced Whistling-Duck in a weird plumage going from juvenile to adult plumage like in this picture: ML254396281 - White-faced Whistling-Duck - Macaulay Library

Someone with better experience in the species might be able to provide further feedback.
Thank you for taking the time to assist me. I now have no doubt at all that you are bang on! It's an immature White-faced Whistling-Duck. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back