• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Birds, Uganda (4/4) (1 Viewer)

Egretta

Belgium
The last ones:
1 and 2: female weavers, I am terrible at them
3 Flappet Lark?
4 Some cisticola I cant identify
5 it looks like a sparrow but something seems off about it

Attachments

• Lake Victoria source of Nile.jpg
    Lake Victoria source of Nile.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Murchison falls.jpg
    Murchison falls.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • QE NP1.jpg
    QE NP1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • SIpi falls2.jpg
    SIpi falls2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • bwindi (1).jpg
    bwindi (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
It's a little strange that no-one has attempted to answer these five queries. I'll give it a try, with the proviso that if someone comes along to say that all my IDs are wrong, at least I will have moved the thread to the top, where hopefully others more capable will have a look.

1. I think this is a juvenile Holub's Golden Weaver. The juvenile looks like the female, but has a pinkish bill and dark eye. The fine black line going backwards from the middle of the rear of the eye seems to be a distinctive feature of this species.

2. This bird is weird. If you look, the bill is deformed - it's crossed at the front. The hairy chest is strange, and I think the reddish colouration on the upper chest and other parts is probably from mud or something like that. I have no idea so ₿60,000 to anyone who gets an agreed ID for this bird (apply to Sam Bankman-Fried for your reward).

3. This is a lark, but it seems to lack the red of Flappet. I wonder if it might be immature Red-capped as illustrated in Birds of East Africa 2nd edition plate 143.

4. I think on looks and location it's Stout Cisticola - online photos show it as having much less of a red wing panel that the illustrations in Birds of East Africa.

5. I think this is just a bedraggled Nothern Grey-headed Sparrow.

I hope this helps or at least gets someone else to look more closely.

It's a little strange that no-one has attempted to answer these five queries. I'll give it a try, with the proviso that if someone comes along to say that all my IDs are wrong, at least I will have moved the thread to the top, where hopefully others more capable will have a look.

1. I think this is a juvenile Holub's Golden Weaver. The juvenile looks like the female, but has a pinkish bill and dark eye. The fine black line going backwards from the middle of the rear of the eye seems to be a distinctive feature of this species.

2. This bird is weird. If you look, the bill is deformed - it's crossed at the front. The hairy chest is strange, and I think the reddish colouration on the upper chest and other parts is probably from mud or something like that. I have no idea so ₿60,000 to anyone who gets an agreed ID for this bird (apply to Sam Bankman-Fried for your reward).

3. This is a lark, but it seems to lack the red of Flappet. I wonder if it might be immature Red-capped as illustrated in Birds of East Africa 2nd edition plate 143.

4. I think on looks and location it's Stout Cisticola - online photos show it as having much less of a red wing panel that the illustrations in Birds of East Africa.

5. I think this is just a bedraggled Nothern Grey-headed Sparrow.

I hope this helps or at least gets someone else to look more closely.
I think I can agree with 1, 4&5.

Structurally I think 3 is a Mirafra species, and although I agree with MacNara, I think the pose in the photo is simply hiding the more russet primary edge of Flappet.

The other local Mirafra is White- tailed. This is certainly not one if those

As for 2, it has the helf of a larger weaver. Despite the obvious issues the McNara has picked up on, I suspect it is a Black-headed Weaver, but agree these imm/non breeding plumages are a total nightmare.

As for 2, it has the helf of a larger weaver. Despite the obvious issues the McNara has picked up on, I suspect it is a Black-headed Weaver, but agree these imm/non breeding plumages are a total nightmare.
Yes it's that. Buffy flanks ("rufous"), but perhaps more diagnostic are the mantle tramlines and the yellow in the wing. Not sure there are other weavers which show these 3 characters.

Thank you for your answers! Weaver nr. 2 is probably indeed Black-headed Weaver, I posted a male in another thread (Weaver, Uganda) which I saw at the same location and couldn't identify.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back