• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown raptor (falcon of some kind?) - Cairngorms, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Firstly, I'm amazed that I remembered my log-on because it has been so long since I've been on these forums! But anyway, stuck with this bird spotted on the way up Glas Maol in the Glenshee area of the Cairngorms and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I saw because I can't make up my mind. Initially I thought it was a kestrel, I think it was around kestrel sized but I had my doubts and had even more doubts when looking at the photos.

Hopefully the photos are attached...

Attachments

• mystery raptor1.jpg
    mystery raptor1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 62
  • mystery raptor1cropped.jpg
    mystery raptor1cropped.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 168
  • mystery raptor2.jpg
    mystery raptor2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 62
  • mystery raptor2cropped.jpg
    mystery raptor2cropped.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 182
It could have been bigger, I'm not very good at judging sizes and there was nothing to compare the size too coupled with not great visibility. I thought the wings looked a bit long for a peregrine but there are peregrines around there.

Thank you :t: Haven't seen any peregrines recently so maybe I've just became a bit unfamiliar with them! Hope this one stays safe, unfortunately it was in grouse shooting territory :(

That is the oddest looking wing on a peregrine I've ever seen. In all the years of watching them over Inverness, Aviemore, Loch Ruthven areas, I've never seen such an odd long winged looking bird.

It could have been bigger, I'm not very good at judging sizes and there was nothing to compare the size too coupled with not great visibility. I thought the wings looked a bit long for a peregrine but there are peregrines around there.

Lightening the image greatly rather rules out Peregrine... That reddish vent/legs?
MJB

Attachments

• mystery raptor1cropped.jpg
    mystery raptor1cropped.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 134
  • mystery raptor2cropped.jpg
    mystery raptor2cropped.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 130
And bloody prey remains? Crop is full, so it has recently been eating.

Didn't see anything but the cloud came down shortly after this photo was taking removing any chance of spotting the bird again or seeing anything else. There were four ptarmigan not far away right alongside the path but nothing else spotted.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back