• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Raptor - San Antonio, Texas (1 Viewer)

rubonix

Got out today for a bit in a nearby patch. Today weather was mostly overcast, so as I was shooting some pics in a dark area with my Exposure Compensation pushed up I noticed a long distance presumed Raptor flying. I took some pics but I know the quality is pretty poor based on distance and settings. Was hoping maybe to get some feedback on the jizz of the bird if possible.

Thx

--Ruben

http://www.alt-take.com/unknown-raptor-comp.jpg

Attachments

• Unknown-Raptor-Comp.jpg
    Unknown-Raptor-Comp.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 168
I'm finding it hard to rule out an Accipter. Just doesn't "feel" harrier like.

Also I don't think that white is on the rump no matter how it may look at first...

I'm finding it hard to rule out an Accipter. Just doesn't "feel" harrier like.

Also I don't think that white is on the rump no matter how it may look at first...
Me too. That pot belly in the top row pics just doesn't look like a harrier - if it had just eaten, the bulge would be at the front end, where the crop is. And the white looks more like fanned undertail coverts. Presumably Cooper's, as Gos doesn't occur in Texas, unless perhaps a falconer's escapee (must admit, Gos was my first thought yesterday).

Definitely an Accipiter and presumably a Cooper's. 6 fingers among other things would rule out Northern harrier.

It's funny looking in some of the pictures but my initial and continuing reaction on seeing these pictures was of an accipiter with its undertail coverts flared, very probably a Cooper's Hawk. I don't really see any obvious problem for that species in terms of either plumage or shape.

It's funny looking in some of the pictures but my initial and continuing reaction on seeing these pictures was of an accipiter with its undertail coverts flared, very probably a Cooper's Hawk. I don't really see any obvious problem for that species in terms of either plumage or shape.

That's also my view. It's certainly not a harrier.

It lacks the dark trailing edge to the secondaries shown by Northern Harrier as well. I'd say Cooper's Hawk as well. Although wing shape looks kind of unaccipiter-like in the first few photos and much more accipiter-like in the last three, it is the same bird throughout, as evidenced by the molting inner primaries.

Andy

It's certainly an Accipiter, based on structure and plumage. With Northern Goshawk eliminated on range, it is Cooper's Hawk. The undertail coverts are 'flared' and can often wrap around the base of the tail giving the impression of white on the rump.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back