• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown video from Poland (1 Viewer)

I know these are "just" coot but I'm not sure about the ethics of running/lunging towards birds just to get a quick video so you can get some strangers on the Internet to ID it for you...

If this was something rare/threatened the forum would be up in arms about the behaviour in this vid. Shouldn't matter really, not cool to put personal desire to add another tick to your list over a birds peace of mind and wellbeing.

By the way I'm obvs aware that no harm seems to be done, but I think this behaviour and similar behaviours needs to be called out.

I know these are "just" coot but I'm not sure about the ethics of running/lunging towards birds just to get a quick video so you can get some strangers on the Internet to ID it for you...

If this was something rare/threatened the forum would be up in arms about the behaviour in this vid. Shouldn't matter really, not cool to put personal desire to add another tick to your list over a birds peace of mind and wellbeing.

By the way I'm obvs aware that no harm seems to be done, but I think this behaviour and similar behaviours needs to be called out.
Stop over reacting, those Coot would have hung around to eat bread if any had been on offer and anyone who has grown up in Europe and hasn't seen a Coot by age 5, having to rush to 'tick' one, probably has not interest in wildlife anyway.

Stop over reacting, those Coot would have hung around to eat bread if any had been on offer and anyone who has grown up in Europe and hasn't seen a Coot by age 5, having to rush to 'tick' one, probably has not interest in wildlife anyway.
Not the point really tho is it. Why should a coot be treated any differently from other species anyway? Interest or not, it doesn't matter, its a lack of care that is what's exhibited in this video. That kind of attitude towards any wildlife shouldn't be ignored.

I find this increasingly common and increasingly annoying - someone posts a photo or video online and a random stranger starts giving some deep and unsolicited ethical lecture.

No, this behavior doesn't "need to be called out". This is obviously a public place, where people conduct watersports, these birds get into contact with humans every five minutes. There is no other good served by this kind of preaching but the preacher's need to feel superior. Stop that.

Preaching that I keep coming across the same entitled and inconsiderate "birders" who only care about getting a tick or a photo or whatever, and couldn't care less about the wildlife, conservation, and especially the animals as individuals. Bored of it! Any wonder why you keep seeing posts of so called "preachers"? The twitching/birding community has some deeply problematic aspects and I for one can't be arsed with seeing those posts on this forum and just letting it lie. Especially when it refers to those that maybe just lack experience rather than genuine idiocy, as is probs the case here, it's defo important to say "no, that's not okay". There's nowt wrong with that.

No matter what "problems" you have, you projecting them onto this random person, who came here for help, is absurd and it's not helpful. There is nothing problematic here, just someone excited to see birds. Those people are not the problem. For conservation it's FAR better to have people chase off a few coots here and there than to have them not interested in wildlife. Posts like yours put off people from engaging in birding communities - if the first thing you encounter is being chastised, you go do something else - and THAT is what actually hurts nature.

No matter what "problems" you have, you projecting them onto this random person, who came here for help, is absurd and it's not helpful. There is nothing problematic here, just someone excited to see birds. Those people are not the problem. For conservation it's FAR better to have people chase off a few coots here and there than to have them not interested in wildlife. Posts like yours put off people from engaging in birding communities - if the first thing you encounter is being chastised, you go do something else - and THAT is what actually hurts nature.
Thanks for supporting. I know how to behave while observing birds, but the video was made on a public beach with lots of people. I didn't chase the coots when they swam away, I would never scare/chase the birds just to take a good photo, because I respect nature and every animal.

Coots, ubiquitous here in the UK, are pretty hardy little guys and although there is a case to be made for 'bird disturbance', in this case I don't really think the birds were either disturbed or stressed.

And yes, my reply is just an excuse to post this extraordinary video ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back