• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Waterfowl in Michigan. (1 Viewer)

Brink

Bad Photo. I know the larger ones are Mallards, what about the others (near the top of the photo)?

Attachments

• teal.JPG
    teal.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 95
There are teals, if I see well the green mirror, Green-winged Teals.

I can see the GWT Valery. But the left-hand one, from the "vivid loral spot", and chequered sides, feels like a Blue-Winged to me. The right-hand Teal has me thinking also. I really have no idea about Cinammon Teal ID. I'd like to see further discussion on these ducks...B :)

Last edited:
Cinammon are very rare in Michigan. IMO you have a good comparison between Blue-winged and Green-winged here. The one in the back is larger, has a rounded head, and more faded patterns on the face. The GWT in front is smaller, has a boxy head, and has stronger patterns on the face.

Cinammon are very rare in Michigan. IMO you have a good comparison between Blue-winged and Green-winged here. The one in the back is larger, has a rounded head, and more faded patterns on the face. The GWT in front is smaller, has a boxy head, and has stronger patterns on the face.

The bill is pretty strong also on both left and right birds. Loral-stripe on right-hand I feel? And both BWTs? With GWT in middle IMO...?

As both birds have a rather well defined loral spot, + size can be difficult to judge in a photo, you're left with the flank pattern. The front bird has pale bands inside the dark centres which is found on Green-winged + Common Teal. The rear bird has solid centres found on Blue-winged Teal + Garganey.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back