• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Casqued Hornbill in The Gambia (1 Viewer)

During a recent trip to The Gambia, the group saw a large unusual Hornbill in the gardens of the Senegambia hotel (5th Nov 2022), At the time this was identified as a Black-and-White Casqued Hornbill, but on returning home and looking at my (admittedly somewhat obscured) photos, there seems to be blue colour around the eye, and a lack of obvious white on the primaries. This might suggest a Yellow-casqued Hornbill, but the casque shape also seemed a little unusual for this species. Any help in confirming the identification much appreciated. Andy 037A1560 casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM2.JPG037A1560 casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM2.JPG037A1560 casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM2.JPG

Attachments

• 037A1558 Yellow-casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM.JPG
    037A1558 Yellow-casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 037A1559 casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM.JPG
    037A1559 casqued Hornbill Senegambia Hotel 05Nov2022 AM.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Thanks - makes perfect sense - not in the guide book I had, but I understand from others that there has been a Black-casqued Hornbill in The Gambia for some years now.

There’s a Black-casqued Hornbill frequenting the Calypso bar gardens.
Banjul.
It’s seen most days by the car park.
Although it’s very easily spooked.
I saw it yesterday on two occasions.

Here are a couple of shots of the bird at Calypso bar. I would say its a released bird from captivity.

Attachments

• IMGP2252.JPG
    IMGP2252.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMGP2241.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back