• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upcoming UK trip (1 Viewer)

alphan

We are planning on a long trip covering England, Wales and Scotland sometime in August this year. We plan to drive around on our own for a free and easy birding. No fixed itinerary but we expect to stay for 3-4 months.
No specific target species or close proximity as we just enjoy photographing birds as hobby and observation. We will divide our time equally between birding and visiting places.
The amount of information on UK is overwhelming. Can somebody point us the direction to start? All advises and comments are highly appreciated.
Thanks

Just to start with the fact that August is quite possibly the worst single month to pick. The breeding season is largely over, so most species will be quiet, not protecting territory, and skulking while they moult. Most breeding seabirds will have left their colonies, and ducks will be in eclipse plumage. Migration will only just be starting, and it is School holiday season so more places will be full of general tourists.

The UK might be small but it's quite dense so travel can take some time. You could easily spend 3-4 months in each country too!

As Welsh Peregrine points out August isn't good for birding -July through to September sees many UK birders swap to butterflies or dragonflies instead, but the weather tends to be decent...
Finding accommodation outside of large cities can be harder at this time of year too.

Are there any specific places you want to visit over here? We can probably suggest good birding spots around tourist locations.

To offer a slightly different take, if you are planning on visiting for 3 - 4 months, I'd argue that August is a great time to start as you will be visiting at the beginning of the autumn. The points that WP and Richard make about it being the busiest month are valid, so bare in mind that accommodation will be in short supply and most likely expensive (£80 pppn as a minimum if not camping). Also as mentioned, account for a fair amount of driving!

An idea for an itinerary would be something like:

First week: Hit up some touristy stuff (London, Oxford)
Mid - August: Pembrokeshire - a complete change from cities, like Cornwall but quieter (I'd argue more beautiful). Choughs, Seals and other marine life, autumn passage just beginning with common migrants beginning to filter through. Cardiff, Brecon Beacons are good tourist options too.
Late August: West Country - Slimbridge, Somerset levels. Good birding at all times of the year, friendly folk and sample some cider. Bristol, Mendips, Quantocks, Exmoor for tourist spots.
Early September: Head down to Cornwall, Devon en-route. Seabird passage picking up, and summer holidays have finished. Seabird passage west Cornwall can be incredible (Shearwaters), again passage just beginning, so common migrants beginning to filter through (pipits, wagtails, wheatear, hirrundines).
Mid September onwards: The east coast is arguably the place to be, so a few days taking in somewhere in the midlands before heading over to Norfolk would be a fair option - perhaps a stop in Cambridge to break up the journey. Norfolk and Suffolk are a must (Titchwell, Holkham, Cley, Minsmere) - migration should be in full swing now (waders, passerines, first wildfowl).
Early October: Yorkshire always a good bet at this time of year, with Spurn or Flamborough offering the potential for really impressive migration.
Mid October: Head up the east coast taking in Northumberland, another beautiful part of the country with exceptional birding. You could easily take two weeks exploring the area.
November: Scotland - so many places with a lot of history, and great birding!

As an alternative, if you could change your dates, March - May would be perhaps as good, as the birds are easier, with the change between wintering and summering species more apparent.

Hope this help!

Just to start with the fact that August is quite possibly the worst single month to pick. The breeding season is largely over, so most species will be quiet, not protecting territory, and skulking while they moult. Most breeding seabirds will have left their colonies, and ducks will be in eclipse plumage. Migration will only just be starting, and it is School holiday season so more places will be full of general tourists.
Schools go back somewhat earlier in Scotland than England eg Aug 16th in Glasgow.

I would also argue there's nothing wrong with August for birding in Britain. Breeding is more or less finished so there are lots of naive juvenile birds of ordinary British species about to give good viewing opportunities. Yes British birders switch attention but we are all used to our own birds!

I would start August in Cornwall if you can get accommodation, seawatching for scarce seabirds like big shearwaters, petrels, maybe some skuas or Sabine's Gull. Take in a pelagic maybe? Cornwall has easy Choughs, estuaries like the Hayle hold at least some returning waders by August.

Make your way up to Somerset via South Devon where the Exe Estuary is worth a look and a site for Cirl Bunting such as Labrador Bay also a good idea; then visit the Somerset Levels (Shapwick/Ham Wall) for wetland birds like egrets, Bittern, Marsh Harrier, maybe a rarer heron if you are lucky.

On to Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean for woodland birds, plus raptors from New Fancy View and Symonds Yat. If you like the occasional mammal then Fallow Deer and Wild Boar are both possible. Then off into Wales where the Pembrokeshire islands are as already advertised and up through central Wales where the oak woods should still hold some Wood Warblers and Pied Flycatchers. By now you will have seen Red Kite but one of the feeding stations will provide an unforgettable spectacle. Snowdonia is scenic but crowded: Anglesey may be better and South Stack will still have more Choughs (though mostly blinged to hell and gone) and cliff-nesting seabirds.

If I were you I'd leg it North to Scotland at this point to get there before the weather breaks: in November it will be very hard going! Targets include Osprey at Loch of the Lowes, Crested Tit at Loch Garten, Golden Eagle is easier further West - Ardnamurchan is beautiful and has both Goldies and White-tailed Eagles. The Cairngorms is the place for grouse but while Red Grouse are everywhere, Black Grouse are easier in the glens near Dunkeld and the easiest Ptarmigan are at the top of Glenshee via the Cairnwell chairlift.

Having done both ends moseying about in the middle from mid-September onwards will put you into migration season and the whole East Coast will be livening up.

John

I would also argue there's nothing wrong with August for birding in Britain. Breeding is more or less finished so there are lots of naive juvenile birds of ordinary British species about to give good viewing opportunities. Yes British birders switch attention but we are all used to our own birds!

I would start August in Cornwall if you can get accommodation, seawatching for scarce seabirds like big shearwaters, petrels, maybe some skuas or Sabine's Gull. Take in a pelagic maybe? Cornwall has easy Choughs, estuaries like the Hayle hold at least some returning waders by August.

Make your way up to Somerset via South Devon where the Exe Estuary is worth a look and a site for Cirl Bunting such as Labrador Bay also a good idea; then visit the Somerset Levels (Shapwick/Ham Wall) for wetland birds like egrets, Bittern, Marsh Harrier, maybe a rarer heron if you are lucky.

On to Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean for woodland birds, plus raptors from New Fancy View and Symonds Yat. If you like the occasional mammal then Fallow Deer and Wild Boar are both possible. Then off into Wales where the Pembrokeshire islands are as already advertised and up through central Wales where the oak woods should still hold some Wood Warblers and Pied Flycatchers. By now you will have seen Red Kite but one of the feeding stations will provide an unforgettable spectacle. Snowdonia is scenic but crowded: Anglesey may be better and South Stack will still have more Choughs (though mostly blinged to hell and gone) and cliff-nesting seabirds.

If I were you I'd leg it North to Scotland at this point to get there before the weather breaks: in November it will be very hard going! Targets include Osprey at Loch of the Lowes, Crested Tit at Loch Garten, Golden Eagle is easier further West - Ardnamurchan is beautiful and has both Goldies and White-tailed Eagles. The Cairngorms is the place for grouse but while Red Grouse are everywhere, Black Grouse are easier in the glens near Dunkeld and the easiest Ptarmigan are at the top of Glenshee via the Cairnwell chairlift.

Having done both ends moseying about in the middle from mid-September onwards will put you into migration season and the whole East Coast will be livening up.

John
^ Slight variation, but I'd agree with John that this is mostly workable.
The only caveat I'd add is that the FoD is tough in the autumn with many of the core species elusive (up in the canopy/generally tricky), but if you find yourself in the area feel free to drop me a PM and I'd be happy to take you around for a few hours birding (Hawfinch, Crossbill, Woodcock, Gos + mammals).

Thanks everybody for the great advises.
We could move our arrival to mid July but how hot will that be? Being on leisurely birding, we'll be avoiding crowded places. We can do birding on foot while enjoying the walk as well.
We will be taking a small campervan thus worrying less on accommodation though I still need to find out the do's and don't of such vehicle. No plan of setting up tent for camping anywhere. This is only the beginning as we'll be back for more and at different season as well.
All points taken for my planning. Will be shooting lots of questions after more digestion, especially places that we can hang around for days. Thank you again, all you lovely birders. Thanks Daniel for your offer too.

Hi Alphan - don't worry about July weather, nowhere will be as hot as Malaysia LOL In fact, in Scotland, you could experience all seasons in one day LOL. (Rare but possible).

If you're in the Perth / Pitlochry / Angus Glens area get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

For more information on many of the places mentioned in the posts above, have a look in our Opus section. This is an article for a reserve in the Brecon Beacons (a truly beautiful area with some great birds): Craig Y Cilau NNR - BirdForum Opus

Late October or early November is a great time to visit Islay. Loads of Geese, Choughs, White-tailed Eagle - I saw 5 in the air at one time over Nave island last October. Also Golden Eagle, Hen Harrier, Merlin and more. The Islay Birds blog is a great place for information. Some cracking distilleries on the island as well.

Puffins would be excellent. Am sure even if I don't see one, they'll be tons of other new to me species to be seen. Will see how to time myself in.

Hi Alphan - don't worry about July weather, nowhere will be as hot as Malaysia LOL In fact, in Scotland, you could experience all seasons in one day LOL. (Rare but possible).

If you're in the Perth / Pitlochry / Angus Glens area get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

For more information on many of the places mentioned in the posts above, have a look in our Opus section. This is an article for a reserve in the Brecon Beacons (a truly beautiful area with some great birds): Craig Y Cilau NNR - BirdForum Opus
Thanks for the offer. All points taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back