• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA Outer banks Carolina (1 Viewer)

nsanderson

Totally new to US birding, but loving trying to ID birds in a new country. I fished on the pier at Avalon, Outer Banks, North Carolina and was surrounded by these amazing grackles trying to steal the bait. Pretty big; UK jackdaw sized; bright shiny things. Boat tailed (last image)? Later we headed a bit further south down the Outer banks where I took the other images (Iphone through binoculars - you'd never guess!!) of Canada geese, waders and gulls. Presuming these are completely unidentifiable, but maybe, blurred yellowlegs, blurred sleeping American avocet, Franklin's Gull...

Attachments

• IMG_9703.jpeg
    IMG_9703.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9704.jpeg
    IMG_9704.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9705.jpeg
    IMG_9705.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9696.jpeg
    IMG_9696.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 43
In the first images I think I see:
Greater Yellowlegs
Willet
Laughing Gull (Franklin's Gull is very rare along the east coast)
American Avocet

I'll leave the last photo to others.

The last image doesn't feel right for a Boat-tailed. It seems short and slight (assuming that's a standard post it's perched on) and the tail is very underwhelming.

Thanks for help with ID folks. Struggling to ID the grackles, but enjoying the process. They all look quite scruffy. And yes of course Laughing not Franklins Gulls - my mistake.

My though is Boat-tailed for the grackle. Habitat and time of year seem like strong indicators, plus my impression of bill size and bulk. Tough to say much on the tail, given the angle and that I think grackles are beginning to molt tail feathers this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back