• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Utah bird (1 Viewer)

May be an odd posture, but nothing much about it says thrush. Very pronounced spec, with big dark gap in the eye-ring at 8 o'clock, thick whitish greater-covert wing-bar, and (only partly obscured) unspotted chest. The bill looks odd (for a thrush or for anything) because it's actually wide open with the lower mandible almost totally hidden by the branch. Surely plumbeous vireo?

I'm on board with Plumbeous Vireo, too. I guess the photo is rather dark overall, but most of the points Butty mentioned aren't too affected by that.

Yes I agree it's the vireo and that it looks odd mostly because we can only see the upper mandible. I can see clearly that this bird is almost uniformly grey with strong white lores/eye ring and wing stripe. I'm not aware of a thrush like that.

Though the face pattern is somewhat similar to a Swainson's, this bird's face pattern is too white, too contrasting, too sharply delineated. Overall color is too grey also, even making allowances for difficult photographic conditions. There seems to be a bit of white wingbar visible too - no thrush has that. Finally, no spots at all on the lower parts - even a Veery shows more spotting than this.

Plumbeous vireo is not a bird I'm familiar with, but it sure looks like a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back