• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varanger Fjord and Northern Finland by Public Transport - March 2023 (1 Viewer)

SlowLowFlyingTurkey

Nice videos & photos and a good read - good memories for me of a couple of visits to Finnish Lapland & Varangerfjord. And I'm very jealous of you aurora sightings, I've still yet to experience it despite being north of the Arctic Circle three times!

Nice report. Good read. I hope to visit the area in May 2024 when I go there on a birding trip. The chances of seeing Steller’s and King Eider will be less than in winter though.

Greetings, Leo

Nice report. Good read. I hope to visit the area in May 2024 when I go there on a birding trip. The chances of seeing Steller’s and King Eider will be less than in winter though.

Greetings, Leo
Thank you. According to the ebird hotspot for Vadso Steller's Eider should still be reasonably easy in May. Not sure about King Eider:
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1120373/media?yr=all&m=

Awesome write up. I am also quite keen to get to N Finland and then to Varanger in the next couple of years, and your report gives me some really good ideas. Taking the boat to Tromso or another airport at the end sounds awesome, I wasn't aware of that ship...

Awesome write up. I am also quite keen to get to N Finland and then to Varanger in the next couple of years, and your report gives me some really good ideas. Taking the boat to Tromso or another airport at the end sounds awesome, I wasn't aware of that ship...
The boat service along Norway's coast is wonderful and goes from Oslo all the way to the Varanger Fjord. It is the lifeline for all the coastal communities otherwise without road or rail service. Imho, the best marine commuter service in the world, if you have the time.

The boat service along Norway's coast is wonderful and goes from Oslo all the way to the Varanger Fjord. It is the lifeline for all the coastal communities otherwise without road or rail service. Imho, the best marine commuter service in the world, if you have the time.

I guess I was aware of a boat to get to Vadso / Vardo and 1-2 other locales within the fjord, but wasn't aware that it went all the way around. Super cool... helps with the slow-cooking plan to do a birding / N Lights / general chilling out and enjoying trip at some point!

I guess I was aware of a boat to get to Vadso / Vardo and 1-2 other locales within the fjord, but wasn't aware that it went all the way around. Super cool... helps with the slow-cooking plan to do a birding / N Lights / general chilling out and enjoying trip at some point!
Check out the Hurtigruten website, they also do cruises, but the Norway shore run is their core business.

. Imho, the best marine commuter service in the world, if you have the time.
Agreed ...almost :)

I think top prize goes to the 'Alaska Marine Highway' ferry service that goes from Seattle all the way to the Aleutian Islands in the far east of Alaska, 3500 miles - truly amazing with both open sea section with albatrosses et al and fjord sections with numerous whales and auks, etc

I think top prize goes to the 'Alaska Marine Highway' ferry service that goes from Seattle all the way to the Aleutian Islands in the far east of Alaska, 3500 miles - truly amazing with both open sea section with albatrosses et al and fjord sections with numerous whales and auks, etc
That's a trip I've had my eye on for a while - up the west coast of the US, then the ferry to Alaska. I read somewhere you can even pitch a tent on the deck.

Thank you for this excellent tip. It sounds like a great domestic trip option I'd not known of.

That's a trip I've had my eye on for a while - up the west coast of the US, then the ferry to Alaska. I read somewhere you can even pitch a tent on the deck.
I pitched my tent :)

They allocate an area where you can put tents - it is semi-enclosed, so you can just use a sleeping mat instead. After the Marine Highway, I hitchhiked up the legendary Dalton Highway.

This was part of a trip I did starting at San Diego on the Mexican border and then slowly meandering north all the way to Deadhouse up on the Arctic coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back