• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various Insects, SE Michigan USA (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
Okay, with my limited entomoligal knowledge, I guess:
1- ????? Not a roach I hope :eek!:
2- Robber fly?
3- I know these are ants, but is it possible to tell the exact species? And what are they doing? There were several of those white capsules (eggs?) and the ants were dragging them away one at a time.
4- ????? Tiny, cricket shaped. A nymph?
5- ?????

Really, the insect population in my yard is even more diverse than the bird population! After not even five minutes I saw several insects I've never seen before! I might even start an insect life list.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 48
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
6- Same size and shape as #5, but orange.

And I assume a Green Bottle Fly?
Sorry for the photo quality.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Green bottle fly.JPG
    Green bottle fly.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sorry, can't be very helpful but ....
The first one I think is a beetle but can't see enough detail to be more helpful.
The third one is ants moving their larvae: the larvae pupae are housed in the galleries that you can see. Possibly under a stone or some other cover? When you removed the cover the worker ants immediately start to shift the larvae (and pupae) to a place of greater safety.
Is the fourth one an earwig (Dermaptera)?
Sorry, can't help with flies .... I'll look again at the possible beetle later but don't hold your breath!

I'm not an insect guy, but I believe #1 may be some type of firefly, or a close relative. Certainly not a roach.

Best,
Jim

Thank you guys... yes Paul the ants were under a rock and after it was lifted they moved their larvae deeper into the tunnels. It makes sense. And boy am I glad #1 is not a roach!

Thanks again

No. 1 is indeed a firefly, that is, a beetle of the family Lampyridae. It looks like a species of Photuris.
No. 2 is a Robber fly (family Asilidae)
The ant (no. 3) looks like it might be a species of Lasius, but that's purely guessing.
No. 4 is an advanced nymph of a Ground Cricket (Nemobiinae). The unstriped, light colored head suggests Neonemobius palustris.
Nos. 5 & 6, Longlegged Flies of the family Dolichopodidae. No.5 looks like a species of Dolichopus, No 6 is a bit iffy, given the fuzzy focus.
No. 7 is a blowfly, the family Calliphoridae. The greenbottle is a member.

Sorry, but "common" names are scarce for insects.

Will

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Wow I had no idea such species lived in my yard. Sorry my camera just isn't made for this kind of photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back