• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various, Thailand (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg

1 & 9 - Kaeng Krachan (low altitude around lower camp)
2 - fields NW from Bangkok (juvenile jacana - bronze-winged or pheasant-tailed?)
3 - 8 Khao Yai

I think for all the birds the genus is pretty obvious and then it gets unreasonably hard. I probably just need a better book, the illustrations in Robson's New Holland guide are not really great for many of the groups (but it really conveniently covers a large area).

Tickells blue flycatcher (male for sixth and female for last one), possibly… don’t see the white for the mugimaki. Japanese sparrowhawk, looks small so possible. In only now a few birds from that area so probably wrong. Maybe oriental reed warbler as it looks like a great Reed warbler for the first one. Ashy drongo maybe for 5 and 7. Maybe some sort of prinia for 4. No clue for 2 and 8. Hopefully I have at least one right. I’ve searched up prinia Thailand and a plain prinia comes up, doesn’t look exact but leg colour looks close.

Last edited:
1. The race cinnamomeoventris of Olive Bulbul, sometimes called Baker's Bulbul and possibly a species in its own right.
2. Pheasant-tailed Jacana (wing is mostly white).
3. I think I'd go for Japanese Sparrowhawk too - looks small and dainty, five-fingered hand, gular stripe, streaked upper breast but barred flanks, no distinct tail bands.
4. Plain Prinia.
5. Black-winged Cuckooshrike (note the broad white tips, like half-moons, to the under tail-feathers).
6. Hill Blue Flycatcher, I think, as the orange wash, fading to brown, extends down the belly and flanks.
7. Black-winged Cuckooshrike (half-moons again).
8. Moustached Barbet.
9. Tricky one - a female Flycatcher, maybe Blue-and-white as it has a brown wash on the breast.

Thanks! I was going there and back on the blue flycatcher over and over, the species are so similar! I was thinking the BW Cuckooshrike, but didn't have good info in how the tail is diagnostic or not. This will pad the triplist nicely :)

1. The race cinnamomeoventris of Olive Bulbul, sometimes called Baker's Bulbul and possibly a species in its own right.
2. Pheasant-tailed Jacana (wing is mostly white).
3. I think I'd go for Japanese Sparrowhawk too - looks small and dainty, five-fingered hand, gular stripe, streaked upper breast but barred flanks, no distinct tail bands.
4. Plain Prinia.
5. Black-winged Cuckooshrike (note the broad white tips, like half-moons, to the under tail-feathers).
6. Hill Blue Flycatcher, I think, as the orange wash, fading to brown, extends down the belly and flanks.
7. Black-winged Cuckooshrike (half-moons again).
8. Moustached Barbet.
9. Tricky one - a female Flycatcher, maybe Blue-and-white as it has a brown wash on the breast.
1. looks more like a Besra
9. is a female Cyornis, suspect Chinese Blue.

Grahame

@Grahame Walbridge For no.3, Besra was my first thought, but it doesn't seem to have the broad tail bands?

You're no doubt right about no.9 - looking again, the wash on the breast is orangey once you've lightened the image. The ear-coverts also lack the streaking of Blue-and-white/Zappey's, the tail is contrastingly rufous and the bird lacks the bulk of that species too. @opisska A frontal view might confirm this.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back