• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

very dark Gull (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi,
Another gull-related request - would this dark brown gull be argentatus?
Please help ! (Poland - Podhale)

Attachments

• _MG_6261.JPG
    _MG_6261.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 33
  • _MG_6262.JPG
    _MG_6262.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hello Michal,

nice a juvenile Gull. Tfs! My thoughts:
  • with such a dark bird, a LBBG comes into my mind. But it isnt one imo, pattern on inner primaries and more?
  • are the greater coverts uniform darkish without any pattern? Difficult to be sure here
  • shape of the head and bill gives this bird a Caspian Gull jizz imo.
  • after seeing this, I think I can make out a paler head and a contrasting darkish shawl (a quite frequent pattern for 1cy Gulls in NE-Germany, with Caspian, Herring and hybrids the usual suspects)
  • same with the underwing coverts: although brownish (enhanced by underexposure?), they seems unbarred and still quite pale on the thumbnail
  • I have a deja-vue feeling here. A similar bird comes into my mind, that was identified as a darkish Caspian Gull by Lou before?
Yes, I am thinking this might well be a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid (or even a very dark Caspian Gull???). But Herring gull influence is so easy to suggest in Poland you know.

And now please wait for ID. Thanks from me too!

Hello again Michal,

yes you are right. Its a really darker bird and my memory wasnt right. Sorry!

Therefore a an even stronger candidate for an Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back