• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

caspian gull - dark head? (2 Viewers)

Michał Jaro

I have here a large subad gull with a strange tinted head (visible in all photos). Caspian? (Podhale, Poland, yesterday)

Attachments

• _MG_6980.JPG
    _MG_6980.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 24
  • _MG_6978.JPG
    _MG_6978.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 22
  • _MG_6977.JPG
    _MG_6977.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 23
  • _MG_6979.JPG
    _MG_6979.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 24
  • _MG_6981.JPG
    _MG_6981.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 24
are you sure it is subadult? black marks in the carpal region (dorsally) could be from the growing p7 and p8 (like clearly visible on the underside).
Bill is long but I can't see the long ventral tongues on p10. Thus, nothing sure here from my side, it could even be a long billed michahellis which at this time of year can be slightly "hooded" (head striation starts in august and gets changed to white in december). But could be a dirty cachinnans either...

No I'm not sure :) thank you very much for the clear and understandable explanation. Indeed dirt cannot be ruled out, and if the plumage says nothing more to you Lou - then surely nothing more can be said (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back