• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam - Bonus Part - Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Fwin71

Hi again,

Many thanks for the output on the other pictures from Vietnam.

I just wanted to double check one pic:
is that a pale blue-flycatcher, Cyornis unicolor?

Pic taken in Cat Tien, at the limit of its range...

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• Pale blue flycatcher (1).JPG
    Pale blue flycatcher (1).JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Pale blue flycatcher (2).JPG
    Pale blue flycatcher (2).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 22
It looks better for a female Verditer Flycatcher to me. The bill seems too short for a Cyornis, and the greenish-blue tones to the plumage also fit better for Verditer.

That's the point, I read several time that Cat Tien is just on the outside of its range but for many bird species maps are tentative in Vietnam...
The days after seeing this bird, we only had a male verditer flycatcher around, making us doubt that it was a pale blue flycatcher but we have no experience with both species.
So thanks for clarifying the ID!

Many of the maps in the new Lynx Vietnam field guide are misleading. But mostly the other way round i.e. showing larger ranges than actually exist

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back