• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo, southern Ontario (1 Viewer)

D Halas

Hello everyone,

I took this picture this morning in Oakville, Ontario. This vireo was singing much like a Red-eyed Vireo, but thinly and lethargically enough that I wonder if it might not be a Philadelphia Vireo. It was high up enough that I only got looks from below, so I'm not sure if there was a black stripe on the side of the crown or not. In the one photo I got, the head is tilted just enough that I'm not sure if there's a stripe there. Is it possible to determine the species from this photo?

Attachments

• Vireo1.jpg
    Vireo1.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 59
I think this bird works for a Philly Vireo. The brightest yellow is near the throat. Too much yellow for a Red-eyed. And your description of the song is spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back