• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader. Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Mike Montier

A Marsh sandpiper was identified here in Mallorca.
Photos were taken but there is some dispute it’s the right bird.
Some are saying it’s a juvenile Greenshank.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG-20230916-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20230916-WA0008.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 135
A Marsh sandpiper was identified here in Mallorca.
Photos were taken but there is some dispute it’s the right bird.
Some are saying it’s a juvenile Greenshank.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Mike
Morning all and Feliz Navidad. I recently came across a book called the Naturalist in Majorca, and found some interesting records of species that were not included in my guide book 'Birds of Mallorca'. It seems that for example the broad-billed sandpiper found not so long back was not the first, one was seen and photographed at the Albufera 5/10/1970. Other interesting reports (and new for my next edition) included:
rough-legged buzzard Formentor 7/4/1965, imperial eagle Puig Major 12/4/1966, white-rumped swift a tired bird at Formentor 11/4/1971, following strong WNW winds, lesser grey shrike, great grey shrike Boquer Valley 5/10/1970, arctic warbler lluc July 1967, bearded tit Albufera 1967 and marsh tit Valdemossa 9/4/1965.
Best wishes, Nev

Morning all and Feliz Navidad. I recently came across a book called the Naturalist in Majorca, and found some interesting records of species that were not included in my guide book 'Birds of Mallorca'. It seems that for example the broad-billed sandpiper found not so long back was not the first, one was seen and photographed at the Albufera 5/10/1970. Other interesting reports (and new for my next edition) included:
rough-legged buzzard Formentor 7/4/1965, imperial eagle Puig Major 12/4/1966, white-rumped swift a tired bird at Formentor 11/4/1971, following strong WNW winds, lesser grey shrike, great grey shrike Boquer Valley 5/10/1970, arctic warbler lluc July 1967, bearded tit Albufera 1967 and marsh tit Valdemossa 9/4/1965.
Best wishes, Nev
The author's own Imperial Eagle record is included in square brackets. The Arctic Warbler record was at Lluch not lluc but July seems an unlikely month for such a record without more evidence than the author having his own "satisfactory notes".

The author's own Imperial Eagle record is included in square brackets. The Arctic Warbler record was at Lluch not lluc but July seems an unlikely month for such a record without more evidence than the author having his own "satisfactory notes".
Just going by what I have read. The author seems to know his flora and fauna. I agree July does seem an unlikely month but on Mallorca I have seen migrants and rarities at odd times. That's one thing with birds, they can, and do turn up anywhere at very odd times. If I include anything in another guide, it will be credited to the finder of the reports and added in as potential information / sightings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back