• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders in Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Hi all
I went birdwatching today at Gibraltar Point and I have problems with the ID of the birds in the pictures (these are cropped and often birds were very far from me, so quality of the pics is very low, sorry!). In the first 5 pics, among the dunlins, is there at least one curlew sandpiper? Is the bird alone a grey or golden plover? and, finally, are the birds in the last two pics green sandpipers?
Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• Curlew sandpiper maybe 1.jpg
    Curlew sandpiper maybe 1.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Green sandpiper maybe 3.jpg
    Green sandpiper maybe 3.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Green sandpiper maybe 2.jpg
    Green sandpiper maybe 2.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Golder or grey plover.jpg
    Golder or grey plover.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Curlew sandpiper maybe 5.jpg
    Curlew sandpiper maybe 5.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Curlew sandpiper maybe 4.jpg
    Curlew sandpiper maybe 4.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Curlew sandpiper maybe 3.jpg
    Curlew sandpiper maybe 3.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Curlew sandpiper maybe 2.jpg
    Curlew sandpiper maybe 2.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 115
Hello Otis tetrax,

I got the same strange feeling like Steve Lister and Steve Clifton.
There are many features strange/wrong for an European Golden Plover:
  • a strange body shape with a small head
  • zebra barred tertials
But I better stop as I have only seen one Pacific Golden Plover before and hope for others to jump in (yes, I would opt for an American Golden Plover if forced, a species I have never seen)

Do you have more pictures of this bird?

Hello Otis tetrax,

I got the same strange feeling like Steve Lister and Steve Clifton.
There are many features strange/wrong for an European Golden Plover:
  • a strange body shape with a small head
  • zebra barred tertials
But I better stop as I have only seen one Pacific Golden Plover before and hope for others to jump in (yes, I would opt for an American Golden Plover if forced, a species I have never seen)

Do you have more pictures of this bird?
Hi
sorry for my late reply. all the pics I have are the same, and the one I attached here is the 'best', because the bird was very static for several minutes, as I could only see it from the same side, before it drank a bit, moved behind some vegetation and it did not appeared afterwards (I left 30 minutes after it disappeared), so that's all I have!
best wishes

all the pics I have are the same, and the one I attached here is the 'best'
It's been said by many people many times on here, but... It's very often not the 'best' photo that can be the one that clinches an ID. So it is still definitely worth you adding more photos even if you happen to think they're 'worse'.

It's been said by many people many times on here, but... It's very often not the 'best' photo that can be the one that clinches an ID. So it is still definitely worth you adding more photos even if you happen to think they're 'worse'.
fair and good point! here are the other pics I got. thank you and best wishes

Attachments

• gp1.jpg
    gp1.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 40
  • gp2.jpg
    gp2.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back