• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wailing night time sound uk (1 Viewer)

I've been hearing an odd sound outside at night lately, it sounds mammalian rather than bird. Its rather like Hump back Whale song, but much quiter.
It sounds like its coming from either the hedge or the field next door. Any ideas what it could be
Jackie

Do your next door neighbours have windchimes and burn those hippy incense sticks sometimes? If yes - they might also be playing whale song cds?!

;)

Or amorous cats? When I was a teenager some friends and I once heard wailing coming from a hedge at night. We thought it was an abandoned baby, so we went to a phone box (younger BF-ers, in those days we didn´t carry phones in our pockets), and called the police. They came and listened, and then gave us some instruction in the area of feline birds n´bees behaviour.

Rabbits squeal when about to be killed by e.g. Stoat but by definition its one squeal sequence per Rabbit.

I've never heard Muntjacs do other than bark, but happy to defer to others with different experience?

Its the wrong season for foxes, so cats would seem most likely.

You're certain its not night-flying Moorhens, because they make some very weird noises?

I still find when I'm out at night that I fail to recognise quite a lot of sounds. It can be unsettling sometimes, for sure!

John

Thanks for all the sudgestions, the closest seems to be cat, but it really doesn't sound like any cat I have ever heard. No pools close by, so probably not a Moorhen.
Jackie

Thanks for all the sudgestions, the closest seems to be cat, but it really doesn't sound like any cat I have ever heard. No pools close by, so probably not a Moorhen.
Jackie

Actually there doesn't have to be, they do quite a lot of night-flying and can turn up anywhere.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back