• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waist belt mounted case for large bins (1 Viewer)

Elkhornsun

United States
With my larger 15x56 bins I would like to have them in a pouch or case attached to a waist belt. I prefer not to have a chest harness and I am often carrying a backpack with photo gear. I have however, not been able to find anything and may need to go to a shoe repair shop to have nylon belt loops sewn on the bino case.

Has anyone found a solution?

Last time I bought, Vortex had veryreasonable prices on cases with stout belt loops and detachable padded shoulder straps. I have two of theses cases one for each of my 15x56. Really useful.

Mike

I got this case for my 8x56 and it's really nice - made in USA, and it's got both a waist belt loop and a shoulder strap:

the binos drop in sideways in that one, which I like, for a vertical position they have this one:

Don’t most binocular cases have some sort of belt loop built into them.
My Swarovski ELs don’t (but they come with a strap that could be fitted around the waist) but my car pair (Hawke) does, my pocket pair (Hawke) does and my partner’s (Zeiss) does

In my experience the big ones are way too heavy to hang from the belt. You will lose your pants falling down.....;)
Most cases have a nice shoulder strap, I would use that.
Jerry

that's pretty funny - without being told I wouldn't have even known what that piece was for! I never use the belt loops. :D Probably because I never wear belts! Seems like a good option for the smaller binos.

With my larger 15x56 bins I would like to have them in a pouch or case attached to a waist belt. I prefer not to have a chest harness and I am often carrying a backpack with photo gear. I have however, not been able to find anything and may need to go to a shoe repair shop to have nylon belt loops sewn on the bino case.

Has anyone found a solution?

When conditions will include extended/alternating climbing, descending and traversing steep slopes I prefer to carry a 56mm in a belt pouch. The trick is to carry the bin on a second separate belt, like the 5.11 double duty model, not on the belt holding up your pants. This allows the heavy 56 to be carried lower than a harness or backpack and shifted on the fly 360 degrees around the waist for best balance depending on terrain and/or whatever other gear you carry. I regularly use several different harnesses with a backpack without a problem but the above method is handier IME with a 56. With a nice 20/25mm around your neck you're good to go.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back