• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walking shoes (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
My approach shoes have seen excellent service, over four years old, used daily for the last two years for driving, walking the dog in the early morning dew, summer days on hills, even at work etc.
They are light and waterproof which is all I need, and are pretty much wearing away; the sole is flat in some places (!), the rand has come away a little due to abuse. They are generous for space across the toes - a little too generous to be honest.

Any recomendations for replacements?
I could buy the same Haglof vertigo GT again, or the Hi 11 but I've been looking around, everything from welted Brasher Country Master GTX leather to La Sprtiva Ganda Guide and can't make my mind up.

I do longish walks (12 - 20 miles) one Sunday a month on quite paved roads. My Meindl Burma mountain boots were far too heavy so I bought a pair Ascics Gel Arrata walking shoes. A great buy and only 345 grammes as against 1800 grammes for the Meindls.

Not 100% happy, hence still not got a replacement; certainly got my value for money out of them.
Want lightweight, no rand, with ankle protection.
Have bought a pair of Van (medium comfort £60) with a heel protection that are really quite nice & comfortable for dog walking on pavements & park. The do a thicker cushioned soled version for skateboarders who jump and land heavily.
Also bought a pair of M & S Blue Harbour Stormwear Gibson (£45). Looked temptingly nice but are total waste of money as walking shoes, fit for driving only.

After days & days of browsing and reading comments I found an American pair recommended that I really liked...but not available in the UK. Aaaargh!
May well get the Haglof Hi 11.

Hopefully this is not too much off topic, since I don't really have a suggestion for you, but I find it curious that most shoes suggested here seem to have rigid soles.

For me, having a flexible sole is very important, I find that it provides much more comfort during longer walks.

Obviously, there are certain terrains where flexible soles may not be a good choice. This is where sturdier boots become necessary.

Keen makes some fantastic general purpose shoes; I've been using the Siskyou for about 1.5yrs in rough conditions ranging from hiking to wetlands to walking through 5in of snow on public streets and they have held up admirably.

I like the look of Mephisto baltic. Made in France/Portugal.
Another pair I quite fancy are Hill boots by William Lennon, made in England, so might end up gettin more traditional looking walking boots.
Meanwhile the old Haglofs refuse to die LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back