• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wall Brown, Rome, Italy. (2 Viewers)

tmurray

Ireland
Last Tuesday, (March 8th) near the Colosseum in Rome I saw what I Id'd as Wall Brown, a species I am long familiar with here in Ireland, albeit seeing fewer and fewer of late. I seen it well and was quite sure it was Wall Brown, but seemed a bit early - maybe they do fly earlier in Italy? I wondered however if there is any other options? Is there another similar species it might have been? I understand there is a southern form of Speckled Wood, which can be similar, do they occur in Italy, around Rome? Any suggestions?

Tony

This is a list of butterflies reported in Lazio (mostly by Dutch/Belgian observers):
Wall Brown is one of the more regularly reported butterflies – it already flies in February.

If around the Colosseum or similar, habitat favours Wall Brown and, as Xenospiza mentions, it is frequently an early flying species in southern parts

Thanks for replies. If Wall can fly in February in Italy and based on habitat, I think I'm happy so. Although I have not seen the southern Speckled Wood, so it remains a possibility...

Sadly I now only see Wall in Ireland now in August, and it takes effort and good fortune.

Many thanks for replies.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back