• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreepers May/June Europe. 🙏 (1 Viewer)

Hello Aly, If you’re good at hiking in the mountains there’s a regular pair here in the French Alps near the Col de la Colombiere in Haute Savoie, about an hour and a half walk from the car park at the Col itself. The road usually doesn’t always open till end May/early June though. Great supporting cast of other mountain species there too!

Hello Aly, If you’re good at hiking in the mountains there’s a regular pair here in the French Alps near the Col de la Colombiere in Haute Savoie, about an hour and a half walk from the car park at the Col itself. The road usually doesn’t always open till end May/early June though. Great supporting cast of other mountain species there too!
Hi Richard.. thanks for your reply.. I was going to head for Leuk from Geneva, but have no clue from there, my husband really wants to see a Wallcreeper which is why I was begging for help… 😁😂. We will only be there fri- Monday..flying from London..

Hopefully you've had a look at this Leukerfeld - BirdForum Opus
It's a nice area to bird, I didn't see Wallcreeper on the two occasions I went to the lovely old packhorse bridge but it sounds to be a regular spot for them if you put in enough time there.
Being French I'm obviously biased towards our local sites!
I have looked at the bridge I think..although I thought it was called high bridge(?).. I’m not bothered whether we go to France or Switzerland, I’d like the easiest,closest option to airport…I am just gleaning info at minute, before I book flights/ hotel/ car hire etc..trying to do it as a surprise..as he is the birder..

I have looked at the bridge I think..although I thought it was called high bridge(?).. I’m not bothered whether we go to France or Switzerland, I’d like the easiest,closest option to airport…I am just gleaning info at minute, before I book flights/ hotel/ car hire etc..trying to do it as a surprise..as he is the birder..
Yes, that's just me calling it a packhorse bridge, my friend told me it was Roman I think, do you have a particular date in mind? Of course, France is much cheaper (I don't work for the local Tourist Office, honest ;)) but as I mentioned, if the road is still closed at the Col it's a very long walk whereas at Leuk the road passes just next to the High Bridge.

Yes, that's just me calling it a packhorse bridge, my friend told me it was Roman I think, do you have a particular date in mind? Of course, France is much cheaper (I don't work for the local Tourist Office, honest ;)) but as I mentioned, if the road is still closed at the Col it's a very long walk whereas at Leuk the road passes just next to the High Bridge.
The last weekend in May is when I’m off work..Fri-Monday ..I generally just tag along on bird watching days but I thought I’d try to organise this as I’m sick of him saying he’s desperate to see a Wallcreeper… 😁

Hi Richard, do you have any clue if from Leuk the high bridge is accessible by foot or is it better to hire a car, get a bus/train? Quickest way possible?!many Thanks

Hi Richard, do you have any clue if from Leuk the high bridge is accessible by foot or is it better to hire a car, get a bus/train? Quickest way possible?!many Thanks
I’ve asked the regulars on the Switzerland 2023 thread Aly, as I last went there well over 10 years ago!

No problem Aly, if we didn’t have visitors with us from 20 May to 10 June I would’ve offered to take you both up to the site here in France, let’s hope🙏 our Swiss Birdforum friends can help you out!

Public transport and a little walk to the bridge is possible, by car as well of course. No big difference in how quick to get there. You can do as you prefer.
Leuk / Leukerbad is a real good option for a weekend. There is also Gemmipass reachable by cable car with Lammergeier, possibly Snowfinch, Bee-eaters in the valley etc.

Nice present for you husband btw, wish my wife would do such for me :)

No problem Aly, if we didn’t have visitors with us from 20 May to 10 June I would’ve offered to take you both up to the site here in France, let’s hope🙏 our Swiss Birdforum friends can help you out!
So nice of you, Thanks for all your help.. happy birding. 😊

Public transport and a little walk to the bridge is possible, by car as well of course. No big difference in how quick to get there. You can do as you prefer.
Leuk / Leukerbad is a real good option for a weekend. There is also Gemmipass reachable by cable car with Lammergeier, possibly Snowfinch, Bee-eaters in the valley etc.

Nice present for you husband btw, wish my wife would do such for me :)
Thank you Dalat.. that is very helpful, I was worried I’d get to Leuk and have to trek for 5 hours to get toHigh bridge .. just deciding wether to hire a car at Geneva airport.. or get the Train to Leuk and walk.. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back