• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - Fairburn Ings Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

frogstar

Hi, took a couple of quick shots of this warbler singing at Lin Dike, Fairburn Ings. Original thought it was a whitethroat as there were loads about but now I'm not sure. There does appear to be an white eye ring visible in the 2nd shot. Any help gratefully received

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_7282.jpg
    IMG_7282.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_7283.jpg
    IMG_7283.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 356
Flesh coloured legs/bill, long UTC's, warm tint to the flanks and breast sides...l'm thinking acro...probably Reed.

Cheers

I think the very long PP and the pink gape rule out reed warbler. Looks like a garden warbler to me - albeit quite a richly coloured one - which may of course be a photographic artefact.

I think the very long PP and the pink gape rule out reed warbler. Looks like a garden warbler to me - albeit quite a richly coloured one - which may of course be a photographic artefact.

If memory serves?...RW has a yellow gape, thus would be ruled out. However, Garden Warbler doesn't have flesh coloured legs and long UTC's?

Last edited:
Here's one with comparable leg colour:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/garden-warbler-sylvia-borin/bird-perched

I'm not sure the UTCs are particulaly long for garden warbler either.

Also, if it were a reed warbler we'd be able to see an emargination on P3 roughly level with the tertial tips

Not being a "pedan-tit"...but, I can see a flesh tint to the "feet soles" only, on your image supplied, the rest of which is clearly grey?

UTC's. are "elastic" but there appears to be a not inconsiderable movement with the OP's bird?

I confess the bird is somewhat ambiguous.....mmmm.

Hi, thanks for all the comments and discussions. I've attached 2 links to the original images which might help. I cropped and save without doing any post processing so there shouldn't be any processing artefacts or colours added.

Hi, took a couple of quick shots of this warbler singing at Lin Dike, Fairburn Ings. Original thought it was a whitethroat as there were loads about but now I'm not sure. There does appear to be an white eye ring visible in the 2nd shot. Any help gratefully received

Kevin

The bird has got its mouth open so did you notice any noise as that could clinch this ID and whereabouts at Fairburn ie what was the habitat ... these little clues might help?

The bird has got its mouth open so did you notice any noise as that could clinch this ID and whereabouts at Fairburn ie what was the habitat ... these little clues might help?

Sorry, not very good with bird song :>(
Location was scrub land at 53°44'14" N 1°20'33" W

Come on guys, this is clearly a Garden Warbler; the yellowish tone to the brown upperparts, dark eye in plain looking face and the proportions of the bill (short/fairly stout, even allowing for foreshortening) all point this way.

Garden Warbler. The eyering is a bit too bold, and white, above the eye for a Reed. ( definitely not Mipit anyway ;) ).

Last edited:
Having trawled the web, I finally found Garden Warbler with a pink gape!....If I've learnt something today, It is that Sylvia borin..surprise..surprise, can come with a pink gape and pink tights! GW it is!

Garden warbler. Ken talking rubbish about minutiae without looking at the bird as a whole. Again

Questioning features on a regular migrant in my opinion is prudent, when confronted with an ambiguous example such as this, a particularly warm looking individual, with pink strides (when they are normally grey), and UTC's at an extreme position relative to tail length.

Certainly a learning curve for me, and I suspect for a few others in this 2D game!

As for the "Again" jibe...that's the price I'm prepared to pay for shooting from the hip...fortunately my head always sees the light of day unlike some...Hotshot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back