• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler from Turkey (1 Viewer)

Gerdzhikov

Hello,

I found this picture in my archives. Picture were taken in Turkey, close to Adana (South central Turkey) on 1.9.2013.
On the first hand i think that this is a Common whitethroat, but for me the bill is bigger and color of the eye.

I`ll be happy if you can give your opinion

Thanks

Best regards
Georgi

Attachments

• IMG_2094w.jpg
    IMG_2094w.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 305
Since you saw the bird in the flesh, did it appear as huge as an Orphean Warbler? It strikes me though that there should be something diagnosable. You'd hope that EOW would have big blotches on its undertail wouldn't you?

The bill does look a little long, but I think that mark on face helps with this

Last edited:
Apparently the utcs isn't as reliable as I thought - its not uncommon for EOW to have rather plain ones. I've cleared up the mystery birds face blemish - it doesn't look so large billed, and if you look at the relative size of the eye to the bill v a very LW like EOW left and a LW right, it does look more like the latter

Attachments

• eowvlw.jpg
    eowvlw.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 114
Lesser whitethroat for me. The eye ring pattern is a good fit and there is the vaguest hint of a lighter supercilium which lesser whitethroat can show with younger birds.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back