• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler help in Perth, Ontario (1 Viewer)

chipster454

I could use some help identifying this warbler I saw. The sun was behind it, and lots of thick brush, so I apologize I couldn't get a better picture....I know that would help. There were lots of bird songs I was unfamiliar with, but there was one that was a series of quick whistles that kept climbing in pitch. I'm pretty sure this is the bird that sound came from. Looking at my guidebook, and listening to audio of warblers, my guess is a female Prairie Warbler. Pine Warbler, female Cape May Warbler, or juevenille Magnolia Warbler look like options to me as well, but to the best of my memory the songs don't match. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (1).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (1).JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (2).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (2).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (3).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (3).JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (4).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (4).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (5).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (5).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
I have taken the liberty of lightening and cropping a couple of your pictures, (hope you don't mind). I believe this shows your bird to be a Prairie Warbler, I assume they are in range in Ontario

cheers alan

Attachments

• Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (2).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (2).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (5).JPG
    Prairie Warbler (Ellice Swamp) (5).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
The more I'm looking at it, the more I'm seeing Pine Warbler now. What I can see of the wings look a little dark for a female Prairie. The face colour is wrong for a male Prairie. I WAS thinking the black streaks on the side were too prominent for a Pine Warbler, but now I'm thinking....Maybe not? I'm not too good with bird calls yet, so let's assume I didn't hear anything. Anybody else have an opinion? Just trying to get this one right. If it is a Prairie Warbler, it looks like it would be the first one seen in Perth County by an Ebirder....So another reason to have my doubts there.

Looking at the two lightened photos, the base of the tail appears to be dark, which would rule out Prairie in favor of Pine, according to Plate 31 of the Dunn & Garrett Warblers guide. The side streaking seems blurry/diffuse, another character favoring Pine over Prairie.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back