• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID - BC Canada (1 Viewer)

benoitjh

Canada
Hello, help please to id this bird, seen in forest in central BC this week.
I initially thought Orange-crowned but also possibly Macgillivray's? Apologies for the low quality of pictures...they are constantly moving!

Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6394.JPG
    IMG_6394.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 89
If this is the same bird, I'd say maybe MacGillivray's. The first image is tricky to me, and seems to show short, pointed bill of Orange-crowned (OCWA). You could also argue, though, that image 1 shows paler legs - good for MacG's but not OCWA. Perhaps the tail is too long for OCWA, too?

If this is the same bird, I'd say maybe MacGillivray's. The first image is tricky to me, and seems to show short, pointed bill of Orange-crowned (OCWA). You could also argue, though, that image 1 shows paler legs - good for MacG's but not OCWA. Perhaps the tail is too long for OCWA, too?
With the quality of the photo, I'm not sure if one can positively tell. One feature that gives me pause in calling it a Mac is the shortness of the undertail coverts.

Having looked again after Birdmeister and Peter’s comments, I’m in total agreement!

Believe I can now see the suggestion of a (post juv.) “two wing-bars” on image 1., coupled with the seemingly more pointed Vermivora type bill, also the “apparent white eye arcs” blending into a “slight” super with a short contrasting eye-stripe.

I think these points far outweigh the apparent “grey hood” which was my reason for suggesting MacG. in the first inst.
Presume this bird may be from an intermediate of the “Taiga” population?

Cheers

My impression is Orange-crowned Warbler. Photo 1 really shows the shape and bill shape profile that is spot on for Orange-crowned in my opinion. Photo 2 is much less straight forward though.

Undertail coverts too short, tail too long for MacGillivray's; Orange-crowned Warbler looks like a better call to me.

Agreed with Orange-crowned, in addition to reasons given above the legs also look shorter and not as sturdy as MacGillivray's. The posture, admittedly hard to accurately gauge from photos also seems better for OC with no indication of the often cocked tail of MacG. Finally, the head appears smaller and more typical of OC.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back