• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler id please? At Madhurekere, North Bangalore, India today (1 Viewer)

rsriram9

Hi, can you help with this warbler id please? Saw this in the shrubs by the dry lake bed of Madhurekere, North Bangalore, India today.
Thanks, Sriram

Attachments

• DSC_3792.jpeg
    DSC_3792.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 97
  • DSC_3793.jpeg
    DSC_3793.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 72
  • DSC_3795.jpeg
    DSC_3795.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 91
  • DSC_3827.jpeg
    DSC_3827.jpeg
    11.7 MB · Views: 96
I have promised myself not to comment on a species, that I lack experience with, but I cant hesitate here: if I would see this bird in Europe, I would ID it as a Booted Warbler. I hope, this is the right answer, and I am lightyears away from the Booted vs Sykes problem.

Sorry, I shouldnt post this, but its too late now

The short pp, emarginations on p3, p4 (p5?), general sandy tones, two tone ’chunky’ bill make me think Blyth’s but may be well out of the ball park with this one!

Alexander is absolutely correct, it is a Booted Warbler. Clearly an Iduna, compared to Sykes's note rounded head and medium length tail, rather short bill with dark distal smudge to lower mandible and more marked face pattern; broad pale supercilium extends to rear ear coverts and thin dark loral line. Deb, it's emarganated p3-p6.

Grahame

Alexander is absolutely correct, it is a Booted Warbler. Clearly an Iduna, compared to Sykes's note rounded head and medium length tail, rather short bill with dark distal smudge to lower mandible and more marked face pattern; broad pale supercilium extends to rear ear coverts and thin dark loral line. Deb, it's emarganated p3-p6.

Grahame
That does appear to be the case. I thought only Sykes's could be emarginated on P6 though?

Not so Andy, I thought I had commented to that effect on a previous thread? Such is the overlap in wing formulae/biometrics between the two that there are instances (uncommon) where a bird cannot be identified without a feather sample. LS gives the following values for emarganated p6; Sykes's Warbler c45% strong, c50% weak and c5% absent and for Booted values are c25% strong, c55% weak and c20% absent. So, it is not diagnostic, but one of multi characters that needs to b taken into account.

Grahame

Not so Andy, I thought I had commented to that effect on a previous thread? Such is the overlap in wing formulae/biometrics between the two that there are instances (uncommon) where a bird cannot be identified without a feather sample. LS gives the following values for emarganated p6; Sykes's Warbler c45% strong, c50% weak and c5% absent and for Booted values are c25% strong, c55% weak and c20% absent. So, it is not diagnostic, but one of multi characters that needs to b taken into account.

Grahame
Yes, you did comment on wing formula on a thread a few years back, which I was quoting, or probably misquoting, from. I expect I recalled wrongly, apologies.

In any case it looks like a fairly typical Booted.

Sykes's is emarginated 3, 4, 5 and usually slightly 6 whereas, in Booted only occasionally slightly 6.

Grahame, this is from your post that I was referring to. So Booted can have an emarginated P6, apologies.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back