• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

water mocassin or water snake (1 Viewer)

went kayaking in the pine island area of the the outer banks one week before Irene hit. Paddling in one of the tight channels among the islands I came upon a brown colored snake with its head high above the water line. As I looked at it from a distance another one came around the bend also with its head held high above the water line. does the water snake swim with its held above the water or could this have been a moccasin. I did not stay long enough (chickened out) to study them.

went kayaking in the pine island area of the the outer banks one week before Irene hit. Paddling in one of the tight channels among the islands I came upon a brown colored snake with its head high above the water line. As I looked at it from a distance another one came around the bend also with its head held high above the water line. does the water snake swim with its held above the water or could this have been a moccasin. I did not stay long enough (chickened out) to study them.

Most snakes swim with their head above water so I guess you may have seen Water Moccasin or one of the harmless water snake species. Next time take a closer look.The Moccasins won't harm you unless you try to pick them up.

Water Moccasins (Agkistrodon piscivorus) generally swim floating on the surface, with the entire spine out of the water, while the water snakes (Nerodia spp.) swim submerged except for the head. These are not by any means absolute differences, but are about 90% reliable distinctions.

Will

Water Moccasins (Agkistrodon piscivorus) generally swim floating on the surface, with the entire spine out of the water, while the water snakes (Nerodia spp.) swim submerged except for the head. These are not by any means absolute differences, but are about 90% reliable distinctions.

Will

That's some interesting information which I've not heard before.

I don't think anyone's formaly published it. You can see it in photos of swimming moccasins though. Of course, it needs a calm observation in good light. I can recall an occasion when we bagged over a hundred Nerodia as part of a marked release study one night, just grab and stuff. The next morning, going through the bags and scale clipping the Nerodia we found four Agkistrodon. It gave us to seriously think, I can tell you. That's a nasty bite, always goes seriously necrotic.

Will

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back