• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water rail sp in Mongolia (1 Viewer)

The Birdlife map shows Western as basically stopping at the Mongolian border, although they almost certainly do breed in western Mongolia, as does Little Crake. Birdlife map Brown-cheeked as entering central Mongolia from the north and extending down to the Khangai mountains. My record was just south of this, so Brown-cheeked would, probably, have been more expected in that area.

That's got the makings of an enterprising PhD study...!
MJB

I don't have Brazil's more recent Birds of Japan - would anyone who does have it like to look and see if this error has been corrected?

Mac, Brazil's "Birds of Japan" only depicts Brown-cheeked Rail (Rallus indicus) - the adult with an under-tail as per your photos and a juvenile with blurry black barring only in the centre of the under-tail and white on the outside of the under-tail.

That's got the makings of an enterprising PhD study...!
MJB

Well, i'll be there again in June with one of my targets being to sound record/photo the Savi's Warblers at the same site - possibly the most easterly (presumed) breeding Savi's in the World.

That and seeing all the megas, obviously!

Mac, Brazil's "Birds of Japan" only depicts Brown-cheeked Rail (Rallus indicus) - the adult with an under-tail as per your photos and a juvenile with blurry black barring only in the centre of the under-tail and white on the outside of the under-tail.

Thanks for that information. He seems to have fixed this one anyway.

[There are three reasons I don't have this book: my copy of Birds of East Asia has still not fallen apart; an excellent new (illustrated, not photo) Japanese-language guide came out at the same time; and I am protesting the fact that Birds of Japan doesn't (according to samples I have seen online, and a couple of reviews) include the Japanese names of birds (in Japanese and roman letters preferably) - all my Japanese language guides give names in English as well as Japanese-language and binomials.]

I am protesting the fact that Birds of Japan doesn't (according to samples I have seen online, and a couple of reviews) include the Japanese names of birds (in Japanese and roman letters preferably)

Correct, no Japanese characters or romanised Japanese names.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back