• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waterthrush ID help please. Michigan (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Northern and Louisiana both occur. I think the streaked throat makes it good for Northern but the legs looked pretty bright so I wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Brian

edit: more blurry photos (e-j) added after many comment.

Attachments

• waterthrush b.jpg
    waterthrush b.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 34
  • waterthrush c.jpg
    waterthrush c.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 37
  • waterthrush.jpg
    waterthrush.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 37
  • waterthrush e.jpg
    waterthrush e.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 12
  • waterthrush g.jpg
    waterthrush g.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 9
  • waterthrush f.jpg
    waterthrush f.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 8
  • waterthrush h.jpg
    waterthrush h.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 8
  • waterthrush i.jpg
    waterthrush i.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 8
  • waterthrush j.jpg
    waterthrush j.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hmm. Difficult to be sure given angle and motion blur in the photos. I feel it's Northern.

Louisiana gives a stark black and white feel, Northern more brownish (as here). The supercilum might look flared but that's due to the angle imho: if we were viewing from the side I don't think it would appear that way. I think the legs are more orange than pink (Northern can look that way, and there's lighting effects here). Finally, the streaking is very strong. But I could be wrong...

My instinct says there's no decent view of the centre of the throat, the supercilium looks tapering but that's a variable feature, and the photo quality is too low (no offence) - so leave it unidentified.

Thank you everyone for your input! My equipment makes it pretty difficult to get a photo clear enough for ID sometimes. I appreciate you all having a look at my blurry pictures and I'm fine leaving it unidentified if I'm not sure. Kind of used to it in fact when seeing hyperactive birds such as warblers. I've added a few more blurry pics attempting to give a more clear view of the throat if anyone cares to take another look.

Brian

Attachments

• waterthrush f.jpg
    waterthrush f.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 13
  • waterthrush e.jpg
    waterthrush e.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 14
  • waterthrush g.jpg
    waterthrush g.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 14
  • waterthrush i.jpg
    waterthrush i.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 16
  • waterthrush h.jpg
    waterthrush h.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 16
  • waterthrush j.jpg
    waterthrush j.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 14
DA Sibley shows the Northern with a yellowish wash all over the underside, as does your bird. The Louisiana is depicted as more white with a bit of yellowish wash on the rear flanks only.

edit: I mean only on the white bits, the streaks are still there..

One of those annoying individuals where the central throat is unstreaked. However, the chest streaking is heavy and forms a necklace quite high up (i.e. not really on the chest). So reinforces impression of Northern for me

Sorry, I don't understand what point you're making.
Photos and some illustrations (e.g. Wikipedia) show the streaks in the central throat of Northern can be quite pronounced. I would expect to be able to see this here even with this image quality (not bad as these things go!). Equally there are many photos that show unstreaked throats. These individuals are more difficult to distinguish from Louisiana (which also shows some variability). It's what I'm seeing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back