• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Nick, Ohhh... Fantastic work , Love the Eagle Owl! I hope your going to do
a major piece with that! Looks like a productive few day's on the potential
paintings front.

Welcome back and you have hit the ground running. Lovely sketches just asking to be painted up. Looking forward to how they develope. We have all been taking it easy while you have been away I suppose you will be chivying us up now.

Too bl**dy good. So now you've done the 'nice' stuff - get some paintings done! Taking far too much time off, recently, I think.
Wonderful drawings - makes me want to smile and cry at the same time - b*gger!

Great work Nick. If you're knackered then it must have been a hectic few days!

How do you get the birds you see to sit in such appropriate foliage? ;)

Can't wait for the worked up stuff, but then, knowing you, we won't have to!

Woody

Certainly has been a hectic few days, waking up at 5 and 6 in the morning to use public transport for the past 3 days. Then Tuesday we were at about the height of Snowdon, with wind, torrential rain and the discovery that my waterproofs weren't waterproof, a very miserable seven hours waiting for the rain to stop sheltering under christmas trees. Will start painting as soon as I've tidied a space in which to work (and had a cup of tea of course!)

The 'appropriate foliage' is mainly due to how beautiful birches are at this time of year on the bogs, and the fact many birds were passing through them. As for the eagle owl, that was sheer luck.

Certainly has been a hectic few days, waking up at 5 and 6 in the morning to use public transport for the past 3 days. Then Tuesday we were at about the height of Snowdon, with wind, torrential rain and the discovery that my waterproofs weren't waterproof, a very miserable seven hours waiting for the rain to stop sheltering under christmas trees. Will start painting as soon as I've tidied a space in which to work (and had a cup of tea of course!)

The 'appropriate foliage' is mainly due to how beautiful birches are at this time of year on the bogs, and the fact many birds were passing through them. As for the eagle owl, that was sheer luck.

Sheer luck it may have been but its my turn to be insanely jealous, been searching for one of those a long time! (I know I had it coming;))
Great work, looking forward to the Owl amd the Storks, most of all that Firecrest though, stunning little colour sketch, look forward to the result of the next sleepless week on your part Nick!

Fantastic group of sketches!!! I have to agree with others and say the owl is my favorite, but I also like the golden-crowned kinglet alot (is that the same species we have in the US?).

The Goldcrest is Regulus regulus, not the same as the Golden Crowned Kinglet, Regulus satrapa. Doing a quick google, your version looks halfway between our Goldcrest and Firecrest, Regulus ignicapillus.

Having a hard time painting since I've got back, this is what I managed to knock out on the third attempt:

Attachments

• piedfly.jpg
    piedfly.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 90
Having a hard time painting since I've got back, this is what I managed to knock out on the third attempt:

Knocked it out eh?;)

Like the autumnal colours and the comp Nick, very nice indeed. If this is what you knock out when you are struggling I keenly await your creative patch that is no doubt soon to occur!

Hi From 1 Nick to another.

You make me sick ..... Best I can paint is the doors & windows :-O

I've only just noticed this thread and I have to say they are all stunning Nick.

Keep it up and treat yourself to a bottle of red from me 8-P

More power to your paintbruch

Thanks other Nick, I shall get on the red as soon as the shops open again (bl**dy Sundays).

Alan, don't hate me, you'll get one of these the same day I get a bluethroat!

Attachments

• grandduc 002.jpg
    grandduc 002.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 75
Had to change the last one, I don't know why I keep piling on the blue when I want things darker, when quite clearly I needed red!

Attachments

• grandduc.jpg
    grandduc.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 71
Ha! - Me too -just had the most divine pork scallopes - Mmmmmm!
Great painting Nick.

Now, that sounds better than the packet of brioche I'm munching on, it's been open since last Sunday, as long as I can't taste mould it must still be good! (I sincerely hope so anyway!)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back