• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Nick, that flycatcher's a doozy! The shattered branch ends are like fireworks, it's not surprising you were attracted to them.

I'm off to the SWALA ex. on wednesday so I'll get to see your work up close and personal. I'm looking forward to it.

Woody

A couple of hours in the in-laws' garden yesterday. Hummingbird hawkmoth, Crow, Green Woodpecker and Long-tailed Tit. All completed in the field, took ages for the paint to dry, hence the overworking on the Greenie. (Not patient at all!)

Attachments

• deluzfieldsketches 004.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 004.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 76
  • deluzfieldsketches 003.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 003.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 69
  • deluzfieldsketches 002.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 002.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 68
  • deluzfieldsketches 001.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 76
  • deluzfieldsketches 005.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 005.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 82
A couple of hours in the in-laws' garden yesterday. Hummingbird hawkmoth, Crow, Green Woodpecker and Long-tailed Tit. All completed in the field, took ages for the paint to dry, hence the overworking on the Greenie. (Not patient at all!)

Great garden is right...great fieldwork to boot...what can I say. The Hummer is a mind blower, love that, have great memories of them from Cape Clear in Ireland and also seeing them in Cornwall, Cot Valley in particular. The Green Woody in flight is a corker too.

Lovely work Nick - and the kestrels. There's always great work to see in the forum with so many styles- I like them all:bounce:

Ahhh ..... Nick wot a fantastic set of field sketches. The hummer is great .
We get them every year in our garden too! had one stuck in my coservatory
this year. The other favs for me is the LTT and the Green in flight
so much movement in both.

Been busy these past few days, trying to get as much painting done as possible now, as I'm back in the UK from Thursday till Sunday - my brother's just left for uni so my parents have begged me to come back, to visit the SWLA and to distract them from arguing all the time! Then I'm back to work on Monday, yes it finally came around. :-C

Finally came up with a composition for a swan and some rooks that I sketched in March, it suddenly came to me, as most of my ideas do, whilst sitting on the toilet. The redstart was easier, I just put what I saw onto paper, nice when the birds compose themselves for you!

Bought some new brushes yesterday, mmmmm, acrylic that comes to a point rather than being splayed around! I'll just have to look after them this time.

Feel a cold coming on, maybe poison the b*ggers with a bit of fine Alsacien Sylvaner!

Attachments

• rooksredstart 001.jpg
    rooksredstart 001.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
  • rooksredstart 002.jpg
    rooksredstart 002.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 82
Smashing work as usual Nick and I just love your leaves! Enjoy the show- it will be great to see your pictures hung. Just sorry I can't get down myself.

and one to finish the night, not so keen on this one - it was supposed to be loose and bold! Try and ignore the shiny acrylic!

Attachments

• greenwoody 002.jpg
    greenwoody 002.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
Lovely work Nick, commented in the gallery but I think the rooks are my fave. I'll be at SWLA lunchtimes most days so I'll keep an eye out for you. You'll probably find me open mouthed in front of one of your paintings! Just don't bring over any cold virus with a french accent!

Woody

These last three paintings are superb additions to the portfolio (which must be about the size of Pickfords truck by now). You've managed to keep the swan absolutely truthful, yet allowed a haughtyness to pervade really disgruntled about the black-arrows fly-past. The redstart is uncomplicated and pure - needs nothing more to be totally fabulous. And the woody is, as mentioned elsewhere, vibrant and alive - very strong.

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad to have got another few out of my system.
Woody, I'll be at the exhibition on Saturday around lunchtime, with my parents and the other half, certainly hope not to be bringing any French germs back (hope even more not to pick up some new British ones!)

Finally came up with a composition for a swan and some rooks that I sketched in March, it suddenly came to me, as most of my ideas do, whilst sitting on the toilet. The redstart was easier, I just put what I saw onto paper, nice when the birds compose themselves for you!/QUOTE Nick Derry

The Green Pecker is a cracker, cant praise it enough, wonderful stuff!

Just nipping off to the loo!;)

Last edited:
I can't make the weekends so it looks like we'll miss each other. :-(

I've just got back from my first view of the SWLA ex. It's a real inspiration, I'll try to post some kind of short review soon, after a couple more visits.

Your work is stunning when it's seen 'in real life'. May I be the first to congratulate you Mr. Derry, award winning artist! And richly deserved too...

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back