• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Seeing as the dreaded work starts again next week (let's see if we can get them to say more than 'Good Af-terrrrrr-nooon' this year) I'm trying to get as much painting out of my system as possible! Here is a different version of the Goosanders from the Summer:

Attachments

• rtfghbj.jpg
    rtfghbj.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 80
And as insomnia goes hand in hand with dreaded mancold, here's a little Welsh Stonechat (they're much more rugged than the French ones that b*gger off for the winter).

Attachments

• stonechatconsti.jpg
    stonechatconsti.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
And as insomnia goes hand in hand with dreaded mancold, here's a little Welsh Stonechat (they're much more rugged than the French ones that b*gger off for the winter).

I'll join you in the insomnia, its 4.30am having just finished work and I have decided to stay awake and take the 5.22 train to Landsort for a days birding. Hoping for a goodie. The place is always good to me and the sketchbook! Will post the results tomorrow night...

Stonechat is great Nick. going to go get me some watercolour brushes over the weekend and see what I can bang out. Been a long time since I used the medium, miss it looking at your work...

Last edited:
Wow! Fantastic paintings! I am just blown away by all of them. I don't even think I could pick a favorite because I like them all.

I too have a nasty cold and it's spreading through the family. So I feel your pain. My wife teaches preschool so she's constantly bringing home germs.

Ah the germs of school - looks like we're all getting them via one source or another - working there, partners bringing it home, parenting - it's out to get us all!!!
Beautiful cock stoney, Nick - love the bindweed - just superbly seen and so typical of the habitat. Have loads of nippers around at the mo - great little birds aren't they.
Scrumptious painting.

Scrumptious- what a great word- wish I'd thought about it first! Enjoy the show Nick. I went on the Mall site but it doesn't look as if they are showing any pictures on it. If anyone finds any out there please let us know.

Found some linked to the home page - www.swla.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks to Woody for doing the scouting work, the Dyfi Estuary has won the St Cuthbert's Mill Award, so I get a load of nice paper to paint on! Yippee!

Thanks to Woody for doing the scouting work, the Dyfi Estuary has won the St Cuthbert's Mill Award, so I get a load of nice paper to paint on! Yippee!

Congrats Nick!! well deserved. I love the Stoney, Tims right on the money.
Scruptious birds they are. Got to be one of my favorites.

When does the Swala exhibition run till? want to take it in and
will be in london soon.

Dropped in to SWLA on my way past today- great to see the three Derrys and congrats to you, Nick.

Just as an aside- there's barely a single detailed portrait amongst 400 odd pieces, which says something about current trends and/or about SWLA.

Last edited:
Just got time to say a huge "Well done!!" Nick - and what a fantastic prize to win (particularly bearing in mind that it's only a few posts ago that you were complaining about not having nice paper to work on.
WoW - Award Winning Artsit at the SWLA! - I'd be chuffed as a bugg*er to even get a piece accepted. I am extremely envious - but even happier in the knowledge that I 'know' you!
Well done, really well done.

I don't know why, but suddenly I'm finding it very hard to paint again, this is the only thing I've painted all week and I'm not particularly pleased with it, there's a much better picture floating around in my head that refuses to appear on the paper!

Oh well, enjoy!

Attachments

• london 006.jpg
    london 006.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 111
Thought you'd been a bit quiet - but what a way to re-open your account! Your compositions are absolutely superb - you make it look so easy. Ace painting! The lighting is extraordinary, too - in fact it's pretty effing good all round. what's the one in your head like?

Tremendous pic, you are joking about a better picture in your head, right? I don't see how you could get it better Nick it's just dandy as it is.

Tim's already hit the nails on the head. I'm beginning to think we should all just start believing in ourselves more and stop depressing ourselves with self criticism.

Woody

I think it is a smashing picture Nick. What you were saying about doing something 'more detailed and considered' though might be what you need right now.You may need to slow down, make some changes and do something abit different just to refresh yourself. I go along with everything that was said on Woodys thread. sometimes it works to change medium or subject or how we tackle a subject It won't matter if it doesn't work- although it probably will - all this talk about M Warren -you are well on your way to outshining him :t:

I suppose I do beat myself up a bit about what the pictue looks like in the end, I've deliberately been going through Lars Jonsson's stuff, and finding stuff that looks odd if you stare too hard, things which are actually fine (if that makes sense, hangover from hell today). I think a change of direction is certainly needed, at the moment, I don't feel much like painting, which often happens. I think now I'm back at work, I've got other things to occupy myself with, whereas 3 months of unemployment meant I painted so as not to be bored. Now I'll paint when inspired.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back