• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Had a day rescuing some older paintings out of the bin and doing a bit of surgery on them:

Attachments

• heronkingfisher 002.jpg
    heronkingfisher 002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 94
  • heronkingfisher 003.jpg
    heronkingfisher 003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 87
Your just a master Nick , So good and SO...... Prolific!!!!!!

How the hell do you do it! By the way , Stunning Wallcreeper work.
Oh and I love the little Peregrine gliding away . Perfect place for them though.
Both species.

Your just a master Nick , So good and SO...... Prolific!!!!!!

How the hell do you do it! By the way , Stunning Wallcreeper work.
Oh and I love the little Peregrine gliding away . Perfect place for them though.
Both species.

Ah, yes the peregrine, you may have the answer to my question, why did this one have dark centres to its secondaries and greater coverts? (Sort of like in the sketch), I've never noticed this on any peregrine I've seen, but to be fair, I am usually underneath them.

Have just commented on the kingfisher piece - amazing quality of light you've achieved here - but I must confess, I had forgotten what a ballsing composition you had made with the heron pic - magnificent - tone, light, drawing - got the lot!

Out of the bin! Not that heron piece! I love those sweeping, tangled branches in behind, what could have been wrong with that one?!

Out of the bin! Not that heron piece! I love those sweeping, tangled branches in behind, what could have been wrong with that one?!

I loved the branches too, but to my disappointment, the heron was just completely the wrong shape, so I did a different version of it at the time and scrapped this one. Decided that a slap of paint over it might rectify it, and it's halfway there - the head looks decidedly odd on it still - but as I'm fed up of it, it's 'acceptable'. The kingfisher also came out of the bin.

I may have to have a good go through the bin these next few weeks, while I'm enjoying a lot of acrylic and collage work, it's quite good for covering up previous mistakes.

Ah, yes the peregrine, you may have the answer to my question, why did this one have dark centres to its secondaries and greater coverts? (Sort of like in the sketch), I've never noticed this on any peregrine I've seen, but to be fair, I am usually underneath them.

Nick , Sounds a bit strange to me . However, This could be down to
a not very complete moult after breeding I.e new feathers being
the darker ones. Although with peregrines if adults are only going to
moult any feathers after the breeding season they will largely be
Primary, secondaries, tail, Greater coverts and Primary coverts oh
and Upper tail coverts. Could also have been a second year bird
holding onto those particular feathers although when this
happens they usually look paler and bleached out , not darker.

Wish I had seen it . The only other explination is some kind
of wierd Feather aboration . Friend had a young female once
that had pale white patches on the shaft of every feather.
the following year she moulted normaly looked like a bogo
standard Peregrinus!, weird .

On another note stop putting lovely pieces of work in the bin!!!!

Love the Kingfisher , love the Heron

I commented in the gallery that I loved the kingfisher as it was, how you managed to improve something as good as that just baffles me, but you have. The new version really glows, I love it. And the heron, I'll definitely echo Tim with the stonking composition statement and the colours are teriffic too, all the pastel tones creating light reminds me of the impressionists.

Oh Yeah, I'm allowed to bin stuff... You're not!

Woody

Sébastien once again agreed to drive me to look for "ze stupeed burrds" (long overdue!). I'd wanted to go looking for the hazel grouse and capers but he reckoned his old banger would get us stuck there, so I settled for a water pipit twitch just down the river (they're quite common, but this one's for my town list) followed by an hour or two at the gravel pits. Here are the pics, Water pipit, and cormorant (with a pochard in there) not a huge amount of birds, there's something wrong about only seeing 4 species of duck on a day of river and gravel pits.

Attachments

• portdouvot, osselle 002.jpg
    portdouvot, osselle 002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 94
  • portdouvot, osselle 003.jpg
    portdouvot, osselle 003.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 76
  • portdouvot, osselle 004.jpg
    portdouvot, osselle 004.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 83
  • portdouvot, osselle 005.jpg
    portdouvot, osselle 005.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 82
  • portdouvot, osselle 006.jpg
    portdouvot, osselle 006.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 91
Sébastien once again agreed to drive me to look for "ze stupeed burrds" (long overdue!). I'd wanted to go looking for the hazel grouse and capers but he reckoned his old banger would get us stuck there, so I settled for a water pipit twitch just down the river (they're quite common, but this one's for my town list) followed by an hour or two at the gravel pits. Here are the pics, Water pipit, and cormorant (with a pochard in there) not a huge amount of birds, there's something wrong about only seeing 4 species of duck on a day of river and gravel pits.

Tremendous stuff. Always found Cormorant the among most sketchable of birds. They pose well, stay fairly still and supply and endless variety of shape and form. These are brilliant Nick, no doubt soon to be given the Derry watercolour treatment! Look forward to it...

Tremendous stuff. Always found Cormorant the among most sketchable of birds. They pose well, stay fairly still and supply and endless variety of shape and form. These are brilliant Nick, no doubt soon to be given the Derry watercolour treatment! Look forward to it...

I'm thinking black acrylic with pencil crayon over the top, they really did look very black with just a few highlights, so going to play with light and form and forget about too much detail.

woo hoo, the joys of eBay! James McCallum's Norfolk Summer Sketchbook is on its way to me, can't wait, £25.51 including p+p! happy happy happy

woo hoo, the joys of eBay! James McCallum's Norfolk Summer Sketchbook is on its way to me, can't wait, £25.51 including p+p! happy happy happy

GRRRRR! BANDITS! It's only 23 quid off his website including p+p for brand new! (Got to stop getting carried away!)

Oh - just spotted the cormorant drawings. Absolutely superb - they do make wonderful lines and you've seen them exquisitely. Just a splash of colour on any of these and it's a winning painting - excellent Nick.
Sorry about the ebay purchase - when all said and done, if you were prepared to pay that for the book, then you were happy with the price. Just enjoy the publication (what's £2 anyway? - a BigMac?)

Oh - just spotted the cormorant drawings. Absolutely superb - they do make wonderful lines and you've seen them exquisitely. Just a splash of colour on any of these and it's a winning painting - excellent Nick.
Sorry about the ebay purchase - when all said and done, if you were prepared to pay that for the book, then you were happy with the price. Just enjoy the publication (what's £2 anyway? - a BigMac?)

Have now learned to check prices on Amazon aswell, seriously, I'm not that disappointed as I looked at the book a year ago and didn't buy it. It was just thinking I'd stumbled across a bargain that made me buy it, and as James is one of my absolute favourites, I couldn't be disappointed. Got to get those cormorants done this weekend, I've slowed right down since I've gone back to work!

The cormorants are great Nick, look forward to the painting(s). I find them real tough to draw, I'm not really all that familiar with them (usually see them as distant blobs on far away gateposts) so I'm lacking that intimate knowledge that makes sketching them so much easier. You, on the other hand, are quite obviously very familiar with their extraordinary shapes and these sketches make it plain to see.

Woody

supposed to be painting cormorants, but as my new obsession is to get to grips with some serious id, I've been making notes on Siberian Chiffchaff. Hopefully, I'll manage to find my own this year, this is perhaps the only time you'll see my work that's done entirely from photographs!

Attachments

• pouillot de sibérie.jpg
    pouillot de sibérie.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 93
and to prove that I will do the cororants, here are the composition ideas, there'll be two paintings, the one with the pochard in it is going to be a fluid watercolour, and the other ones (I think I'll do the crop) will be black acrylic with pencil crayon layered over the top to give some colour, don't know how I'll do the background, but I'll decide that when I get to it, perhaps wax crayon/pencil crayon with watercolour (mixed with white??) hmm. Trying to get some heat haze effects going. Right, go and cook dinner now, paint all afternoon, then if time permits, do my paid job (prepare an exciting and dynamic English lesson), if time doesn't permit, the children can just have the same lesson they had last week and bl**dy well like it.

Attachments

• comp2.JPG
    comp2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 82
  • cormcomp 001.jpg
    cormcomp 001.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 74
  • cormcomp 002.jpg
    cormcomp 002.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back