• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

popped out this afternoon to go and sketch the little owls at the saltworks for this commission. Don't know why, I didn't really feel in the mood, probably because the weather was grey, I was sleepy and the saltworks means exploring new roads that I don't know how to drive along yet! When I got to the saltworks the lady at the desk couldn' tdirect me to the owls, so I had to look for them myself, walking all round the saltworks looking in what seemed to be impossibly small trees that were right next to busy paths. Still the forms of the pollarded trees was interesting.

Attachments

• little owls 021small.jpg
    little owls 021small.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 53
  • little owls 040small.jpg
    little owls 040small.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 49
  • little owls 047.JPG
    little owls 047.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 52
  • little owls 046.JPG
    little owls 046.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 60
just as I was thinking there was no way I was going to see any owls, after having completed a whole circuit of the site, I was about to give up when from the tree next to me a round fat thing dropped to the ground and flew away undulating to a tree about 20m away. Turning around to get away from his area, I went and sat on some steps nearby with a good view waiting for him to move back into view, which eventually he did.

Attachments

• little owls 049.JPG
    little owls 049.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 80
  • little owls 050.JPG
    little owls 050.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 70
  • little owls 051.JPG
    little owls 051.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 60
  • little owls 024small.jpg
    little owls 024small.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 71
Love the sketch's of the pollarded trees Nick....and you've really caught the fierce stance and expression of little owl....[for such a small bird they're always so defiant looking aren't they]...!

Ace Nick, I'm so glad you caught up with them. They've got such attitude, I think it's a Napoleon complex. I love these little birds and I can hardly wait to see what you come up with for them.

Mike

Last edited:
Ace Nick, I'm so glad you caught up with them. They've got such attitude, I think it's a Napolean complex. I love these little birds and I can hardly wait to see what you come up with for them.

Mike

I'm unfamiliar with these owls and will have to look them up later. But based on what you've drawn Mike sure sums it up: attitude and the Napoleon complex. What tremendous character they exhibit in these drawings. I have to think that you'll come up with quite a painting.

I'm unfamiliar with these owls and will have to look them up later. But based on what you've drawn Mike sure sums it up: attitude and the Napoleon complex. What tremendous character they exhibit in these drawings. I have to think that you'll come up with quite a painting.

They do have a similar demeanour to Burrowing Owl, if you want a point of reference for a more familiar species...

They are in the same Genus, and must have shared a common ancestor. Because they are so very similar to my eye. When I've seen footage of them I always think of Little Owl.

http://www.desertrange.com/wp-content/images/2008/01/burrow-owl.jpg

A similar pose to Nick's LO!

Terrifying!!!!! :eek!:

Prairie Dogs have some fierce looking balls of fluff to contend with, as neighbors!

Though not a physical threat I am sure! ;)

Last edited:
Burrowing owls are very similar to the little owls. Their legs always seem slightly longer, their heads slightly smaller in relation to body size and their plumage slightly more 'desert camo' looking. They seem to have a similar attitude too!

I once did a talk to a bunch of cub scouts and took along a friend's birds. One was a little owl by the name of Floyd, and another was a red tailed hawk called Kachina. Floyd, at around four inches high, spent much of the evening trying to get at Kachina to beat her up. Luckily for Floyd Kachina ignored him and I kept a tight hold on little Floyd. Or maybe that was lucky for Kachina? Little owls are busting with attitude.

Mike

These are superbly well caught, Nick. I love the 'Napoleon' term - it's so appropriate; these litle blighters and old Boney attitude. I shouldn't say it but I know one or two folk who's avian equivalent would be little owl. Anyway, I'm six foot one, and won't be needing platform boots, so there!
My avian equivalent? Probably Great White Egret.

Russ

some paintings - the hoopoe is one from 2 years back that's been reworked a little.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 65
some sketches from Saturday - notice one one page of whimbrel how scratchy the drawing is - that's called being hungover and annoyed with the stupid cow that flushed the damn thing of the shore right in front of me back into a more distant field. Also one of two spotshank, purple heron, badly drawn fieldfare (they nest here) and there's a yellow wag with his bum out somewhere too.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 116
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 117
more whimbrel, plus a kite, green woodie yaffling, a sparrowhawk and a vole from another day - and while I'm here -, the giant cows and monty's piece has finally been retouched to how it should look. I appreciate your kind comments about it ages ago, but the bird really WAS hideous.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 64
A lot to take in Nick. The Little Owl and Firecrest stand out for me in the first batch of paintings, fantastic use of colour in the second piece menyioned makes it for me. The reworked Monty's is an improvment, a lovely piece.

The sketches are wonderful as always, but there is a very special drawing in there for me. The Whimbrel in the third post of the first batch, with head tucked back and affording a 3/4 head on view has been caught:clap::clap::clap:and there is a sense of contact there for me. As good as I have ever seen, truly.

a vote for the Hen harrier/swallows/snipe- there's a whole world in that pic

glad you like, I'm thinking about doing another version in a sort of Carry Ackroyd/Matthew Underwood 'patchwork' style in collage - but then again, I'm thinking of doing a lot of things at the moment and really I should be doing the housework and sending out more CVs.

One way to raise an eyebrow when being interviewed for the position of English teacher, answer the questions honestly! "Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?" "An artist, not teaching English." :eek!:

Last edited:
A lot to take in Nick. The Little Owl and Firecrest stand out for me in the first batch of paintings, fantastic use of colour in the second piece menyioned makes it for me.

Have to agree with this. A lot to take in and the Little Napoleon and Firecrest stand out, the Firecrest specifically because of the unexpected color. I also like the light on the Hoopoe.

When I looked at the Cow piece I first thought I saw two cows on right edge then realized my mistake and knew that they were just boulders that for some reason I'd taken for cows, then saw the cow at back and realized the boulders really were cows. So there's a nice surprise in there.

Even the scratchy Whimbrels look good to me. And I'd also give a vote for the vole. Who would have thought something so simple could be so evocative?

Oh yes, the Hen Harriers/Swallows/Snipe also is striking and rich. It takes awhile for all of it to appear.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back