• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

again marvellous, you can see the huge difference between bee-eaters in different media, while the Purple Sandpiper is a typical great piece of impressionistic brilliance!:t:

again marvellous, you can see the huge difference between bee-eaters in different media, while the Purple Sandpiper is a typical great piece of impressionistic brilliance!:t:

sorry to correct you Mr Winch! But it's a purple sandPAPER! (Bought specially to paint certain waders on after being inspired by a typo in a book)

The first two are delicate, gentle water-colour delights. Are you sure it's just you painting all these differing styles???

Purple Sandpaper is a light-bath explosive wonder! (Have Purple Sandpapers got "scratchy" calls then? My "rough" attempt at a joke. I'll get my coat before anyone gets too "abrasive" with me...:-C)

But you had to do Bee-Eaters!

Have been attending the Merops Apiaster Unit, where, with a course of prescribed medication, I had been gradually weaned off my addiction.

Then you had to do THIS! :eek!:

Absolutely stunning!

A 1970's RSPB Birds Cover for sure! :t:B :)

Last edited:
I like the watercolors but the second set on sandpaer and then the bee eaters, has so much power from the surface treatments and bold color, seems like more freedom suits you, tho I think it well to work across media, as each one can add to your toolbox of rendering and cross fertilize each other...

All wonderful but a big shout for the little ringed shaggers - excellent. The delicate bee-eater watercolour is a masterclass in the application of media - I find your work goes onto a different level when you work slightly more contemplatively. Gorgeous.

Just been admiring the Bee-eater and LRP's. Copulating ( political correctness has even reached BF ) LRP's have been 'nailed' exceptionally well - what observation! Bee-eater is a kaleidoscope of colour - like they should be. Warm colours come forward and cool colours recede; in't that right? See, I know a bit about art!

Russ

just realised that I didn't post most of my sketches from last month - here they are - I think most are recogniseable - no LBJs!

stonechat, lapwings, white storks, cuckoo, fieldfare and goldfinch

Attachments

• sketches may june 009.JPG
    sketches may june 009.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 58
  • sketches may june 010.JPG
    sketches may june 010.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 49
  • sketches may june 011.JPG
    sketches may june 011.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
  • sketches may june 012.JPG
    sketches may june 012.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 43
  • sketches may june 013.JPG
    sketches may june 013.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 40
more

bee eaters and common sandpiper (in the same view to be worked up), fieldfare, yellow wag (with abnormal white throat) cuckoo, tufties, coots, black tern.

Attachments

• sketches may june 014.JPG
    sketches may june 014.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 43
  • sketches may june 015.JPG
    sketches may june 015.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 42
  • sketches may june 016.JPG
    sketches may june 016.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 37
  • sketches may june 017.JPG
    sketches may june 017.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 47
  • sketches may june 018.JPG
    sketches may june 018.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
last ones

Attachments

• sketches may june 019.JPG
    sketches may june 019.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 44
  • sketches may june 020.JPG
    sketches may june 020.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 36
  • sketches may june 021.JPG
    sketches may june 021.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 49
Yesterday afternoon I headed out to try and catch up with a pair of Short-toed Eagles that have been spending the last month flying around a valley near here - my trip was doomed to failure as I have blurred eyes with floaters all over the place, so impossible to pick anything out unless it's nearby (like the several Buzzards, 1 Honey Buzzard and 1 Black Kite that did get the pulse racing until I put binoculars to my eyes).

I started out at Osselle, just to see what was hanging around, nice to see at least that the Blackcaps had managed to fledge young, the Melodious Warblers were singing, and at one point I had a fledgling Blackcap in the same little bush as a Melodious Warbler, some fledgling 'Phylloscs' (probably Chiffchaffs) all being watched by a White Wagtail. This pretty dragonfly seems to have awoken a renewed interest in Odonata - White-tailed Skimmer.

Attachments

• sketches may june 001.JPG
    sketches may june 001.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 41
  • sketches may june 002.JPG
    sketches may june 002.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 52
  • sketches may june 003.JPG
    sketches may june 003.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
  • pretty thing.jpg
    pretty thing.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 52
with the weather starting to brighten, I headed up to a good vantage point to hope for Eagles - no such luck. There was plenty to enjoy on the ground though - probably a reason I didn't see the birds I wanted! Turtle Doves, Lesser Whitethroats, Cirl Bunting, Dunnock and Melodious Warbler - and Marbled Whites and Heath Fritillaries everywhere - another Odonata is the gorgeous Beautiful Demoiselle.

Attachments

• sketches may june 004.JPG
    sketches may june 004.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
  • sketches may june 005.JPG
    sketches may june 005.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
  • sketches may june 006.JPG
    sketches may june 006.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 34
  • sketches may june 007.JPG
    sketches may june 007.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 55
last one - a long-eared owl from 11 years ago that was sitting in the open over a ditch at Belvide one November. I'll try and find the pics I did of it at the time to compare.

Attachments

• sketches may june 008.JPG
    sketches may june 008.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 60
That is a gorgeous series of sketches. Fun to see those damsel and dragonflies as well!

And, as I think Colleen said, no one dances with line the way that you do! Seeing sketches like these is always like waking up on a beautiful spring morning. It's truly amazing how much you're able to get into each drawing.

Lot to catch with here...and too much good stuff to comment on...:t:

Brilliant purple 'sandpaper'...fantastic effect....!

ps...tho i will be honest...when i just looked at the pic first, without reading the accompanying text...[and what with the cool colors n all]....my first thought i will admit...was ptarmigan]!...i hope you don't mind me saying that..!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back