• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

dropped off the first page again! Most of the move is done and will hopefully be able to find more time to go birding and do some more painting very soon. Here is a blackbird that I did last night, plus a view of the new studio (still trying to fit everything in).

Got a meeting at lunchtime - I'll be doing some more information panels. Not sure if I'm excited by the prospect or rather daunted by it - it's a lot of work to do!

Attachments

• blackbird.JPG
    blackbird.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 72
  • studio new.JPG
    studio new.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 70
How to perfectly prescribe a male Blacker by lashing some paint on...

Stunning in it's apparent simplicity..

Sometimes, Derry, old boy, you make me sick....

Wonderful...

;););)

I'm not sure but I think there's a bit of an optical illusion here. When I first looked I couldn't find a bird for the first few seconds. This really threw me. I did find a profile facing right under the bird's tail but I was sure that wasn't your intent. Then, the way optical illusions do, the bird just popped into the foreground and I saw the bill for the first time. Once you see it you can't help but see the bird. But for some reason my early morning brain just didn't want to find a bird there!!

Either way a striking painting, and maybe a bit more so for the fact that there's just that one little bit of non-black color in it.

Happy to hear that the move is going well. I'm sure you can't wait to get back to birding and painting.

I'm often green with envy when I visit this thread, and today is no exception. But not only have you posted an image which has immediately gone into my top-ten of all time in this cunningly crafted portrayal of a cock blackie, but there's a pic of a studio space worthy of the quality of art which will be produced there - wonderful!
Glad the house-move seems to have gone to plan (pony with us now :) ) but ou may need to make a change of title for the thread, for tis now quite defnitely 'From The Studio' - unless, that is, you'll be dragging the kitchen table in there too . . . in a reversal of fortune, I haven't had a 'studio' for well over three years now . . . .

On the surface it seems so straightforward - simple = effective. Why, then, is this such a stretch for us mere mortals? Rhetorical question probably...but this thread is always continuing motivation to keep trying! I am greatly anticipating output from the new studio.

On the surface it seems so straightforward - simple = effective. Why, then, is this such a stretch for us mere mortals? Rhetorical question probably...but this thread is always continuing motivation to keep trying! I am greatly anticipating output from the new studio.

yes more than a stretch for this mortal...a masterwork of watercolor and subject.....new studio looks like you faux finished the wall and will be a great place to work...

beautiful blackbird and nice friendly studio :t:

greetings Gaby

P.S. your are an english teacher...o..o...o.. I hear your voice....6 ,sit down Gaby :-O:-O

congrats on the blackbird (I got caught by the apparent face profile at the centre too..)

and the studio- does it still look that neat and tidy?

the studio is no longer as neat and tidy - and I also have a problem with lighting - we didn't notice that there are no ceiling lights in the studio, so I'm straining my eyes with horrible soft table lamps for the moment.

I've had a commission to produce a load of illustrations for some information panels (shudders), so I've been making a start on some of the birds. Then I decided to have a quick play at a dipper that has been spending the last few weeks on a tiny bit of water in a car park here.

Attachments

• illustrations saline 001.jpg
    illustrations saline 001.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 66
  • illustrations saline 002.jpg
    illustrations saline 002.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 62
  • illustrations saline 003.jpg
    illustrations saline 003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
  • illustrations saline 004.jpg
    illustrations saline 004.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 61
  • dipper small.JPG
    dipper small.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
Lovely to see the ease with which you switch styles to suit the context. Hmm...Dipper in a car park eh? Sounds like me and waxwings...

Mike

More than anything else I'm impressed by their solidity. I don't think I've ever noticed this so much in your paintings before. Just one more hidden talent!

super Nick love the dipper and the illustrations are solid too.

For light cheapo, try a halogen work light ( 500w) on a tall stand you can get reasonable at a hardware store and bounce it off the ceiling, it will be too hot in summer, but in winter you get dual use of heat and light, and the color balance is good too. Or a photographers light and hood the same way bounced...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back