• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Feck. Just intended to stop by for a quick visit to make sure no one's burned the place down (I've been awful, I know, AWFUL about my absences), but a little naive to assume that I could only spend a few minutes perusing threads. There goes my morning.

And a gorgeous slew of Derrys waiting for me (been months since my last Derry fix), always blown away by your work. Fantastic.

I love these lastest examples of your work. All these are superbly done, but my faves are the greenfinches. The chubby cheeks and that cross expression has been captured perfectly.As ken says, they have a marvellous feeling of solidity about them. Wonderful.

Russ

I love these lastest examples of your work. All these are superbly done, but my faves are the greenfinches. The chubby cheeks and that cross expression has been captured perfectly.As ken says, they have a marvellous feeling of solidity about them. Wonderful.

Russ

Greenfinches struck me too, great illustration work, still with that Derry stamp. Dipper is just great Nick..

my printing inks arrived! yay! completely new material full of surprise and a little frustration as I find my feet with them - I have learned that they are NOT acrylic paints! I am still waiting for some obscenely thick application of them to dry - but I shall persevere to use them in a beautiful way! Also muddling along with illustration - green woodpecker done now. Then a little experimentation with cleaning up the old placemats used for applying the ink to the gadwall, I printed a background that just screamed for the addition of a walltoaster.

Attachments

• gadwall small.JPG
    gadwall small.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
  • gadwall preening small.JPG
    gadwall preening small.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • green woody small.JPG
    green woody small.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 62
  • wallcreeper small.JPG
    wallcreeper small.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 74
my printing inks arrived! yay! completely new material full of surprise and a little frustration as I find my feet with them - I have learned that they are NOT acrylic paints! I am still waiting for some obscenely thick application of them to dry - but I shall persevere to use them in a beautiful way! Also muddling along with illustration - green woodpecker done now. Then a little experimentation with cleaning up the old placemats used for applying the ink to the gadwall, I printed a background that just screamed for the addition of a walltoaster.

As always great. Wonderful marbled effect in the Wallcreeper piece is very interesting Nick. The first Gadwalls are my favourite of the two, briliant stuff. Look forward to your deveopment with these inks, though looks to me like youve hit the floor running here...

just in for another look at the gadwall and to share the excitment of the arrival of the ink: what's the technique- is it ink skidded onto a slightly shiny surface, or onto watercolour paper or..

the technique for the ink (which is going to be refined ALOT!) so far has been slapping it onto bits of shiny card, plastic, lino etc and then just pressing it on the dry paper - which is something I did with limited success using acrylics, I now realise that what I'm going to have to do is use a much MUCH thinner layer of ink and apply it to damp paper - or perhaps paint the picture in ink, in reverse on a piece of plastic, scratch some design into it and then press some damp paer on to lift the colour off. (Ie do it properly rather than faff about pretending it's paint!) I think I need to plan these pictures better!

Nope - quite wrong. You need to plan them much less for now - enjoy the medium and see what it can do, especally in your magical hands. Play for a while - images like this walltoaster may have happened immediately, but I bet if you had planned it, it wouldn't have looked so sumptuous as this one does. I wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war didn't eminate from this wonderful painting/inking.
Keep doing it Nick - the path gets richer and more intriguing at every step.

Oh, by the way - you're all missing a wonderful show of the Northern Lights at the moment. You should pop round my gaff for an hour or so . . .

Last edited:
I agree with Tim, the sponteneity of the inks forming their own patterns makes for an incredibly organic effect which could be spoiled by too much planning.

When I was at school and drawing tiny, detailed twigs and dead nestlings my tutors were constantly trying to get me to try something looser. My answer was to stick together four sheets of A2 end to end and 'draw' a matchstick with my fingers and handfuls of printers inks. I enjoyed it so much that I followed it up with another of the same matchstick after it had been struck. It was a nightmare to clean up and it must've taken a month for the damn things to dry! Happy days!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back