• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Well, thank the Lord for that, Nick. I know which talent I'd rather.

Anyway, if I wanted one of those wonderful paintings or sketches how would I go about it?
I'd imagine this would be as good a place as any H2 - throughly enjoyable every last bit of it. I've deliberately linked directly to the gallery pages to avoid the Derry Full-frontal on the Homepage - just in case there are kids tuning in ;)

A bee-eater with its face missing, what a perfect example of why lost edges are not always a bad thing! Derryness rules!

Mike

Just totally brilliant as usual, Nick! I'm glad Tim articulated what I feel when I look at your work...saved me the trouble of trying to come up with something half as good.

Although I'm late jumping in on the bureaucracy is insanity (and sometimes evil) theme, I can't help but share two personal stories from the US. We (unfortunately not for long, I fear) don't have quite the embedded bureaucracies as you folks across the pond do, but anyone who deals with what we do have is horrorstruck at the prospect of it getting worse.

First example - my sister lives in my grandmother's house, which is in a floodplain (never used to be, but development and levees upstream made it so). So, the government mandates that everyone in the flood plain must have government-provided flood insurance through FEMA, which is not cheap. It was terribly hard for my disabled sister to pay for it, but our family always played by the rules, so with her part-time income and help from me, she kept it current. Well, a few years back they had a bad flood. Found out that half the neighbors had ignored the rules and had no flood insurance. What happened to them? Well, private relief agencies came in, took pity on the poor people who couldn't afford insurance, and a number of them were made whole in a matter of weeks. How long did my sister wait for money from her government insurance plan, which was a major hardship for her? Nine MONTHS, complete with conflicting answers, confusing paperwork, and utter incompetence at every turn.

And more to the business point Nick raised. I have been a musician on the side for over thirty years. All the part-time bands I've been in really manage to do is pay some of their expenses. Ahhh, but the government in its wisdom wants to capture every tax dollar, so put in rules requiring venues hiring bands to report payments to bands. No problem (well ok, because of our tax system complexity it is a problem), we'll dutifully report that income and follow all the tax codes in claiming expenses. Guess what, as with many musicians, the perfectly legal expenses that were deductible meant we were losing money, and could claim a loss on taxes. So then, our tax rules are that if you claim a loss on something like part-time musicianship, the tax authorities declare that it is really a hobby and forbid you from claiming a loss. This then puts the hiring venue in a position where they still have to show payments to a musician, but the musician doesn't put it on the tax return because he's been told he can't. So after another few years (or maybe only one) of not showing the income, a letter from the bureaucrats comes threatening you for not reporting the income that they told you not to report...!! Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but the bureaucrats who would never make it in the private sector and can't ever be fired absent a pronouncement from God go merrily on collecting paychecks and better benefits than anyone else in society and are never held accountable.

OK, I feel better now. I think...B :)B :):C:CB :)

Last edited:
wow Nick that's complicated, your current solution seems wise, follow someone who's done it.

LOve the last one, really pleasurable discovering the bird and sunflowers so iconic.

Well, thank the Lord for that, Nick. I know which talent I'd rather.

Anyway, if I wanted one of those wonderful paintings or sketches how would I go about it?

The website is a good start, I'm about to do a big update (well, in theory - will probably take me forever to even think about it). Otherwise, just get in touch if you've seen something you'd like or if there's something you'd like me to do. I could never part with my field sketches however, too precious!

some awful administrative nightmares all round then - what a bunch of w******! I finally managed to pay the tax office a visit today to get some answers to my many questions. It seems that it is a hell of a lot simpler than any information I've previously found on the subject makes it out to be. I packed in my 'auto-entrepreneur' business, but I can keep my business ID number and produce bills, I simply have to declare at the end of the year what I've earned along with my usual taxes. Bingo, very happy now. The difference now is I'm not paying anything towards retirement or my state healthcare with my paintings, but as I already pay enough for these with my teaching job, that's not a problem.

so all is sorted - until the next problem they find for me!

It's been a week of shrikes - a bolder version of the woodchats and some ideas for a painting of one of our local red-backed shrikes. It's a shame but their nesting site is going to be built on before next year - one brood has just fledged, last year there were two families. I've posted a picture of a shrike on facebook to just make a little bit of noise (pointless exercise I know but hey...) I put a shrike on the mayor's wall, but he decided to delete it - I will have to respond with a picture of a building site I think!

Attachments

• woodchatlingsmall.JPG
    woodchatlingsmall.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 62
  • shrikedigger.JPG
    shrikedigger.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 72
  • shrikegatekeeper.JPG
    shrikegatekeeper.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 59
Visually eloqent and deceptively powerful; both the red-backed paintings bring together incongruous elements - much like the concept of your home town having such a high opinion of its own conservation status and the reality which looks set to befall this little powder-headed bandit.
The delicately handled bird; a vision of loveliness and peace and its apparent unawareness of the looming behemoth set to destroy his home show that 'pictures' can indeed communicate intense and complex ideals. Put this one on the Mayors 'Wall' and if he fails to see the significance, remember which way to vote next term.

I think the JCB machine also symbolizes nature 'in general'...ie...the continual changing of the landscape and its inhabitants...a sort of 'DC' thing...[destruction n creation]..etc

Suffice to say....marvelous pics Nick...[again]!...:t:

there's a stronger composition to be had somewhere here, I've spent quite a while sketching the danewort but can't get it to look natural in the paintings, I think this weekend will be a shrikefest (once I've been birding tomorrow of course!) perhaps I'll use a different pose for the shrike (but I want to keep the gatekeepers in there)

Visually eloqent and deceptively powerful; both the red-backed paintings bring together incongruous elements - much like the concept of your home town having such a high opinion of its own conservation status and the reality which looks set to befall this little powder-headed bandit.
The delicately handled bird; a vision of loveliness and peace and its apparent unawareness of the looming behemoth set to destroy his home show that 'pictures' can indeed communicate intense and complex ideals.

Well said by Tim. I particularly like that last painting.

I posted a quote on my blog a year or two ago by a Russian wildlife artist who said that he thought much about conservation issues but finally decided that the best he could hope for was to show the beauty and power of the animals he portrayed and hope that viewers would see this and understand what it meant.

For anyone who's the slightest bit concerned or even paying attention I think your painting shows the problem: the bird and what's threatening him. But for people who just don't want to consider the problems that development can cause it's hard to know what might get through to them.

But for people who just don't want to consider the problems that development can cause it's hard to know what might get through to them.

a good slap! After having my red-backed shrike removed from our Mayor's facebook page, I've gone back and dedicated a little scribble of a bulldozer to him.

EDIT - and it's already been deleted again! The message read: "I see you didn't like my picture of the red-backed shrike, a species we'll lose from Besançon very quickly if we don't leave a bit of habitat for it. I've therefore done another picture that I think is more to your liking."

I see social media is too easy to ignore after all!

Attachments

• digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 57
  • ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 21 21.24.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 21 21.24.gif
    74.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
been spending time in the studio this week, the past few visits out birding have been very nice with such goodeis as grasshopper warbler, temminck's stint and wrynecks that actually can be seen!

Attachments

• crapathiding.JPG
    crapathiding.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
  • gropper.JPG
    gropper.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 54
  • hoopoe.JPG
    hoopoe.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 64
  • kyukyukyu.JPG
    kyukyukyu.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 53
  • little egret.JPG
    little egret.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back