• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Teals are something else Nick!!! Excellent fieldwork and the Dunlin (& Temminck's!) is a treat to the eye - lovely flowing composition of bodies galore.

bugger!! I want some Teal to draw! excellent as a always. I suppose the night
shift will kick in soon nick?!!

I'd like some teal to draw! those ones are over 3 years old. Never ever move from the coast to inland France if you want a constant supply of good birds! (For proof, check my blog on Surfbirds - I reckon it's the only one that says things like Moorhen - 3, Coot - 9, quite depressing really. Need something good to come along soon.)

Had a day up in the mountains today, preparing for some friends coming over birding next week, trying to locate some of the mouthwatering possibilities that I'd tempted them with at this time of year: wallcreeper, dotterel, hazel grouse, capercaillie, nutcracker, black woodpecker, haha, I heard the last two but saw none of the others. The best birds I saw were some crested tits (not a particularly difficult bird to find here mind). I'm so hellbent on seeing a hazel grouse now, I bought a hunter's whistle for them off eBay as soon as I got back in - apparently they're banned for hunting purposes in France as they're so effective in getting the birds to respond. Fingers crossed for next week's sketchbook then! Here's what I got today, goldcrest, crested tits, coot and a red kite.

Attachments

• no hazel grouse bah! 004.jpg
    no hazel grouse bah! 004.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 65
  • no hazel grouse bah! 005.jpg
    no hazel grouse bah! 005.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 61
  • no hazel grouse bah! 006.jpg
    no hazel grouse bah! 006.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 60
  • no hazel grouse bah! 008.jpg
    no hazel grouse bah! 008.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 63
Great stuff nick as usual! the Crested Tits are just superb!!

Bags of caracter and movement excelent Never seen any
in the u.k but visited my Brother in Germany where he was posted and the
lucky git had them visiting his bird table right outside the window on the
third story of his quarter's.

My brother was stationed near the Black Forrest. Wonderful
little bird worth going to the Highlands for when I get the chance.

Yes - superb. And it's getting ever more noticable in your drawing that, even though they are supremely observed and accurately rendered, they're still unmistakably done by the same hand as your paintings. Hallmark stuff, Nick - personal favs are, of course, the kite drawings.

:t:Oh forgot to say , Goldcrest's brill, Love the one preening!

I'll be perfectly honest, the goldcrest's head is not how I saw it, I can't even remember what it looked like! But if it creates the illusion of looking right, then that's good enough for me. I can't believe it sat there and preened for more than 2 seconds! Got a few painting to be working on this week now, and then big big big sketchathon next Monday Tuesday and Wednesday!

Last edited:
Yes - superb. And it's getting ever more noticable in your drawing that, even though they are supremely observed and accurately rendered, they're still unmistakably done by the same hand as your paintings. Hallmark stuff, Nick - personal favs are, of course, the kite drawings.

I think the kite saved the day, it came soaring right overhead as I was sulkily about to put the birding stuff away, not often I've been able to look straight into the whites of their eyes! There are a couple of extremely tatty ones about at the moment, they look ridiculous, half majestic, half dishcloth!

Another lot of good sketches, especially like the second lot of Cresties - now give me half that wish list in Poland next week and i'll be happy - even happier if i manage to sketch any!

Ace fieldwork as always. It's the energy in the work that makes it so special. I wish I had a three day sketchathon spectacular to look forward to!

Woody

.. I'm so hellbent on seeing a hazel grouse now, I bought a hunter's whistle for them off eBay as soon as I got back in - apparently they're banned for hunting purposes in France as they're so effective in getting the birds to respond.

lovely middle kite

you don't happen to have a link to that whistle on eBay? I'm in hazel grouse country end Oct and it sounds a rather nifty tool to have in the box

lovely middle kite

you don't happen to have a link to that whistle on eBay? I'm in hazel grouse country end Oct and it sounds a rather nifty tool to have in the box

I got it looking under "appeau gélinotte", which took me to some eBay shop that sells old guitars and bird whistles, and they speak English. All in all paid less than a tenner for it and there should be one left as he had two last night. Just hope it works! After some research last night on the net, the forest I was searching in has quite a reasonable population of 3.3 pairs per 100ha! So a bit of whistling should hopefully reap its reward (now, just got to think of a way of getting capercaillie while I'm there!)

Here's the link to the shop, the one you want is the "Gélinotte"
http://stores.ebay.fr/LUTHERIE-Autour-dune-Guitare_APPEAUX_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7174955QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I got it looking under "appeau gélinotte", which took me to some eBay shop that sells old guitars and bird whistles, and they speak English.]

aha- I did try a quick surf before troubling you for the link but I think my French and/or my spelling let me down. So I have sent monsieur a message and agreed to the condition that I won't use it for hunting..

we have a goldcrest, watercolour and a bit of white pencil crayon (trying to put some more light into it!) Well, it's midnight and I've finished for the night, what's happening to me????:eek!:

Attachments

• goldcrest.jpg
    goldcrest.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 103
Hi Nick,
This is sometimes the best view you get of a goldie as it works its way through the canopy. Beautifully captured .
Steve

Nick I'm so envious of your productivity! And such quality all the time!
love the Goldcrest. Remember the first one I saw was in the lanes behind my
parents house and was just two feet away from me in a hedge joining
a wood . That hedge and wood are no longer there , Now a lovely housing
estate! Its a long time since I saw my last Gold crest , would be nice
to see another.

Lovely painting!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back