• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wensleydale birding (1 Viewer)

marky boy

Hi, I will be staying near Hawes for a week from the 19th April and would like some info on sites for Wood warbler, Pied fly, Redstart, Red grouse, and Ring ouzel if possible. I have had a look online for areas like Aysgarth for wood warbler and Pied fly but can't find any info, but it looks a good area for them.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Mark - not really familiar with Dales so am sure that others with more knowledge will help out shortly, but you are only about 30 miles from Bolton Abbey I think , which is a great spot for some of the species you mention.
Stuart

Last edited:
Mark - not really familiar with Dales so am sure that others with more knowledge will help out shortly, but you are only about 30 miles from Bolton Abbey I think , which is a great spot for some of the species you mention.
Stuart

I've heard that there are Red Squirrels in the Hawes area, so that could be another target if you are interested.

Snaizeholme is excellent for red squirrels but little else. For Red and Black Grouse go to Shaw Farm halfway up the Stang Road from Langthwaite, Arkengarthdale. The woods behind Langthwaite will be good for Pied Fly, Redstart. I've had Wood Warb there but v rare in northern dales now. Ring Ouzel are common up stream from Surrender Bridge. These are all Swaledale rather than Wenslydale but near enough.

Can't fault bentleyg on his summary. If you can get hold of 'Birdwatching walks in the Yorkshire Dales' by Brendan Threlfall it includes details of walks that will get you some of the species in your list.

Came up blank on Wood Wobblers at Bolton Abbey last year but is was a late Spring. If you scroll down there are a some threads that might be useful e.g. last year's trip.

Otherwise, head west for squiggles. Freeholders Wood at Aysgarth is worth checking out too, there is usually a pair of Dipper nesting underneath Middle Falls

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back